Quantcast
Show me your knife storage! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Show me your knife storage!

Quote Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
    Gonna make mine this weekend.

Got 20 of these I'm gonna sink into some wood. They're crazy strong.
    http://www.amazon.com/Neodymium-Magn...dymium+magnets
    INfo .. which may be useful..

I opened my Magblock to see how it was mounted as I plan to make a longer one adn I learnt that the magnets are mounted on a piece of metal plate/bar ; entire length ; for ease of mounting the magnets in a row... I suppose.. and they used a rectangular type..

Better to be prepared for a plate shld it be really needed.

Have fun adn rgds
    d

The reason behind the metal bar may also be additional strength (and homogeneity) of the magnetic field what in turn means that one may use less or smaller magnets what allows to keep the costs down.

I have a drill press so I won't need to use a metal bar to align them. Just going to sink some 1/2" holes almost all the way down and epoxy one magnet per hole.

I have a drill press so I won't need to use a metal bar to align them. Just going to sink some 1/2" holes almost all the way down and epoxy one magnet per hole.
    You'll only be able to center knives directly over the magnets that way. The metal bar helps make the entire surface usable, though there is still a greater tendency to pull toward the magnet. Also, it looks like my magblok has a thin veneer of wood over the magnets. Might be hard to get that thin at the bottom of a drilled hole.

Granted, you've got 20 big magnets. I imagine you'll have plenty of capacity, or they'll be close enough that a knife will overlap more than one. Let us know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by nerologic View Post
    You'll only be able to center knives directly over the magnets that way. The metal bar helps make the entire surface usable, though there is still a greater tendency to pull toward the magnet. Also, it looks like my magblok has a thin veneer of wood over the magnets. Might be hard to get that thin at the bottom of a drilled hole.

Granted, you've got 20 big magnets. I imagine you'll have plenty of capacity, or they'll be close enough that a knife will overlap more than one. Let us know how it goes!
    These neo's are crazy strong. Like you can't even pull them apart strong so I'm not worried about clamping force. 1 of them will hold a Chinese cleaver.

These neo's are crazy strong. Like you can't even pull them apart strong so I'm not worried about clamping force. 1 of them will hold a Chinese cleaver.
    then it might be not that easy to remove the cleaver again, hehehe

Here's an interesting page a while back that has more info about making a magnetic knife rack.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?...c-knife-holder

Quote Originally Posted by toddnmd View Post
    Here's an interesting page a while back that has more info about making a magnetic knife rack.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?...c-knife-holder
    That is excellent! Thanks!

Bigger one is made from beautiful bocote from JKI, smaller one is a walnut MagBlok I just installed today. Installing anything like this in plaster walls isn't fun.

Very nice Brian.

Mine's drying right now. We'll see how it goes. Made it out of my old cutting board that cracked in half. I'll update in a little bit. 1 row might or might not be enough. It's 22" long, bout 1.5" spacing with 1/2 x 1/4" neo's.

Front

Drying
    Ran out of epoxy so some of them are being JB welded in lol. I always keep JB weld around for emergencies.