Show me your knife storage!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cilucia

Reaction score
(Sorry if this has a thread somewhere else, I failed to locate it with my search terms)

I'd love to see your knife storage, whether it be magnetic knife strips, blocks (are these a faux pas?), drawer organizers, individual sheaths/sayas, so on and so forth. :D

A bit outdated magnetic knife holder photo of mine - in fact only 2(!) knives are still there. The one with green handle (pretty much our worse knife, but my wife likes is) and the smallest one - Yoshikane SKD petty from Maksim. Even that 270mm Yoshikane SLD damascus Suji (also from Maksim) on the very right is gone too - I miss that knife on occasion. It is a rare bird since all available today seem to have different grind.

The magnetic holder itself was my DIY project - that why it looks the way it does :O But it works perfectly :happymug:

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1403215746.883967.jpg
Hope this attachment works from phone... Made a l frame to mount mag blocks in corner

I'm in the process of making a wooden drawer insert. I don't have a workshop at my current address so I'm only working on it when I visit my parents.

I'm part way through making a plywood router jig with slightly oversized cut outs for each knife (with saya). When the jig is done I'll clamp it over some maple and route out the cut out areas.

I've not seen this done, but I'll have a look for a photo of the type of thing I'm aiming for.

A bit outdated magnetic knife holder photo of mine - in fact only 2(!) knives are still there. The one with green handle (pretty much our worse knife, but my wife likes is) and the smallest one - Yoshikane SKD petty from Maksim. Even that 270mm Yoshikane SLD damascus Suji (also from Maksim) on the very right is gone too - I miss that knife on occasion. It is a rare bird since all available today seem to have different grind.

The magnetic holder itself was my DIY project - that why it looks the way it does :O But it works perfectly :happymug:

That looks great!! You should take an updated picture :D

View attachment 23824
Hope this attachment works from phone... Made a l frame to mount mag blocks in corner
That looks epic!! Love that!

I'm in the process of making a wooden drawer insert. I don't have a workshop at my current address so I'm only working on it when I visit my parents.

I'm part way through making a plywood router jig with slightly oversized cut outs for each knife (with saya). When the jig is done I'll clamp it over some maple and route out the cut out areas.

I've not seen this done, but I'll have a look for a photo of the type of thing I'm aiming for.
That sounds super functional (sized to fit with sayas) and pretty! Are you making the cutouts uniform, or fully customized to your current stash (not sure if you guys call them "stashes" around here, but YKWIM, :D)

That sounds super functional (sized to fit with sayas) and pretty! Are you making the cutouts uniform, or fully customized to your current stash (not sure if you guys call them "stashes" around here, but YKWIM, :D)

I'm making the cut-outs for specific knives. I've only got a few of the cut-outs done so far as I don't want to add them unless I know that I'm going to keep the knife for a long time.

It's easy to do so long as you're got a jig/hack saw and a router.

I've found a photo of the kind of thing I'm going for, basically this but with saya:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_tfGC7tOlr...kM/mOZDqMMXc2Y/s280/cutlery-drawer-insert.jpg

(Sorry if this has a thread somewhere else, I failed to locate it with my search terms)

I'd love to see your knife storage, whether it be magnetic knife strips, blocks (are these a faux pas?), drawer organizers, individual sheaths/sayas, so on and so forth. :D

Don't have a pic handy - ut have a long channel cut in my marble at the back of the counter where I had the cabinet maker leave a gap. Knives drop in and the channel gets has two sections one thin, one slightly wider and a final space for my Fdick steel.

I'm making the cut-outs for specific knives. I've only got a few of the cut-outs done so far as I don't want to add them unless I know that I'm going to keep the knife for a long time.

It's easy to do so long as you're got a jig/hack saw and a router.

I've found a photo of the kind of thing I'm going for, basically this but with saya:

cutlery-drawer-insert.jpg

HOMG that's a gorgeous idea!!

Gonna make mine this weekend.

Got 20 of these I'm gonna sink into some wood. They're crazy strong.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KUURP2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

INfo .. which may be useful..

I opened my Magblock to see how it was mounted as I plan to make a longer one adn I learnt that the magnets are mounted on a piece of metal plate/bar ; entire length ; for ease of mounting the magnets in a row... I suppose.. and they used a rectangular type..

Better to be prepared for a plate shld it be really needed.

Have fun adn rgds
d

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason behind the metal bar may also be additional strength (and homogeneity) of the magnetic field what in turn means that one may use less or smaller magnets what allows to keep the costs down.

I have a drill press so I won't need to use a metal bar to align them. Just going to sink some 1/2" holes almost all the way down and epoxy one magnet per hole.

I have a drill press so I won't need to use a metal bar to align them. Just going to sink some 1/2" holes almost all the way down and epoxy one magnet per hole.

You'll only be able to center knives directly over the magnets that way. The metal bar helps make the entire surface usable, though there is still a greater tendency to pull toward the magnet. Also, it looks like my magblok has a thin veneer of wood over the magnets. Might be hard to get that thin at the bottom of a drilled hole.

Granted, you've got 20 big magnets. I imagine you'll have plenty of capacity, or they'll be close enough that a knife will overlap more than one. Let us know how it goes!

You'll only be able to center knives directly over the magnets that way. The metal bar helps make the entire surface usable, though there is still a greater tendency to pull toward the magnet. Also, it looks like my magblok has a thin veneer of wood over the magnets. Might be hard to get that thin at the bottom of a drilled hole.

Granted, you've got 20 big magnets. I imagine you'll have plenty of capacity, or they'll be close enough that a knife will overlap more than one. Let us know how it goes!

These neo's are crazy strong. Like you can't even pull them apart strong so I'm not worried about clamping force. 1 of them will hold a Chinese cleaver.

These neo's are crazy strong. Like you can't even pull them apart strong so I'm not worried about clamping force. 1 of them will hold a Chinese cleaver.
then it might be not that easy to remove the cleaver again, hehehe ;)

Bigger one is made from beautiful bocote from JKI, smaller one is a walnut MagBlok I just installed today. Installing anything like this in plaster walls isn't fun.

rack1.jpg

rack2.jpg

Very nice Brian.

Mine's drying right now. We'll see how it goes. Made it out of my old cutting board that cracked in half. I'll update in a little bit. 1 row might or might not be enough. It's 22" long, bout 1.5" spacing with 1/2 x 1/4" neo's.
AWpFLhX.jpg

Front
8QKe97c.jpg

Drying
Ran out of epoxy so some of them are being JB welded in lol. I always keep JB weld around for emergencies.

VK4gpkb.jpg

CVe1ahB.jpg

P1010110_zpsf4da2e9f.jpg

Been a while since I've been on the forum. Things are fine. Just been busy and came to a point in my knife buying that I couldn't justify another blade. :cool2::cool2:

Here is mine. A series of 5 (soon 6) bamboo magnetic knife bars:

(Click image to enlarge)

Details of the knives, if of interest, are available via my signature link...

Been thinking of making of having made a cabinet, that one is sweet, do you have specs?

Been thinking of making of having made a cabinet, that one is sweet, do you have specs?

the frame is made of a kitchen benchtop cut at a 45 degree angle in the corners. the back of the frame i cut a smal grove in to fit the background floorpanels. 3 holes for spotlights that dont get hot. found some stainless steel sheets that i mounted in both top corners on the frame to reinforce the mounting to the wall. The glas is laminated and very heavy and robust, took some time to find hinges that was good enugh. the glas and the hinges are the expensive part. if i did this again i would have done a diffrent design to make it cheaper :p maybe a slide door instead. but in the end of the day the cabinet came out very well made.

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1405522417.572809.jpg
May i add my 2 cents? It's my wall of fame :)
Ab 40% of my knives- the other stuff is in the drawer or ( smaller knives, under 180) in the special fiber holder
These are all carbons- Shige, Kato, etc etc..

Thanks for the info. On the specs! Did you use safety glass? :scratchhead:

And what it the actual length, height and depth?

Thanks for the info. On the specs! Did you use safety glass? :scratchhead:

And what it the actual length, height and depth?

Yepp safety glass. A friend had it laying around so i got it from him. Dimensions on outside is L1650xH560xD150 mm and the thickness of the oak is 26mm the glass is 6mm thick.

here are some closeups for you

DSC03230_zps66e9a36b.jpg

DSC03237_zps3ba2c919.jpg

DSC03239_zpsbcf80303.jpg

DSC03244_zps69d671fe.jpg

DSC03238_zpsde72170c.jpg

DSC03242_zps4ccf5585.jpg

DSC03243_zpsf5698fdc.jpg

DSC03240_zps9ccbe730.jpg

Back