Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fighters

Fighters

I emailed a knife maker today asking about kitchen knives but he responded that he prefers fighters over kitchen and utility knives which got me wondering what do people use them for? They can't all be martial artists and it sounds expensive to put it on a shelf somewhere.

They get put on a shelf somewhere.

I imagine that's why many get made, they don't have to work, just to look good.

The boss of ESEE (disclaimer I own ESEE-6 for the occasional trip outside of civilization) on how knives are designed and sold.

In all honesty, the knife industry is about 99 percent ********. We sell knives every day to people who will never use them. Knife buying is more of a want than a need.

I grew up on a farm carrying a three-bladed "Old timer" pocketknife. It did everything I needed and got used daily. All these new weird shapes and designs that keep coming out are made just to have something new and "tacticool." Most companies refuse to speak the truth and just say, "the reason we designed this is because some mall ninja would think it's cool and spend money on it."
    http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/...red-1577108102

It is even worse with combat knives. A smith cannot get away with crappy kitchen knife because it will be used.

Still - should I ever need a machete or similar heavy duty knife I would probably get one from Burt Foster. He seems to know what he is doing (he also does knives for active army personal). I have seen he also ventured to kitchen knives on occasion, though I do not know how well those knife work in kitchen.

But indeed - most bowies and even more 'tactical' knives are just used to be tested on few sticks and then discussed to death on knife fora. There are many many more outdoor/tactical knife makers than kitchen knife makers for the reason already mentioned - the kitchen knives actually have to perform.

The best thing about fighters for a custom maker is that they will probably never be used for much. No one will ever get around to complaining about actual performance in the field and the fact they cut very poorly.

All Right, some of you guys are acting like knife bigots.
    It is easy to look at the flea market knives from Pakistan that are cheap wall hangers, and then lump all the fighters into that category.
    But there is a niche of knife makers who make knives that would put most of the customs you have seen to shame.
    and....fighters do get carried and used, just not in the kitchen.
    Mark Farley / Burl Source
    Phone 541-287-1029, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    ....fighters do get carried and used, just not in the kitchen.
    Where and by whom? In Australia we can't even carry them so was wondering what's the rest of the world experience?

Mark you are right - there are really professional tactical knives makers. But the matter of fact is that while there are many more makers that make (whether usable or not) tactical knives than kitchen knives, there are many more kitchen knives that actually see regular use, than there are fighter knives (that is a good thing!).

(am I the only one who finds that sentence above awful to read?)

As above, if you got caught with a "fighter" on your person here in the UK you may be hit with a custodial sentence.