Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Fighters

Quote Originally Posted by Chifunda View Post
    Google Tueller Drill.
    A few thousand guys armed with a knife have been shot dead by the cops using the Tueller Drill as a defense for sure.

Tasers the choice for Methed up attacking crazy dudes

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matt79 View Post
    Seriously you carry a gun because you have heard knife fights are a "nasty business" are you for real.I lived in glasgow europes no 1 city for knife crime ,that still didnt make me carry a knife or a gun.I have found the most useful weapon is common sense and avoiding situations were you might end up in er.
    You didn't carry a gun because you live in countries that pretty much ban personal protection. I do agree, common sense is the most useful "weapon". I've been to every European country, and lived in Germany for three years, they are different cultures than the US. Plenty of dangerous places in Europe, I remember spending some time in Limerick, Ireland; I would not go out at night in most areas due to the shady nature of the place. Self protection is a basic human right, so yes, Keith is "for real". Life isn't unicorns and rainbows, and never will be as long as humans roam the earth. So really, the only option you have is to avoid potential conflict. Good luck with that!
    Jason

@AFKitchenknivesguy
    Please do me a favour and don`t try and turn this into a you europeans don`t understand are basic right to carry fire arms in the US thread .I have know problems with guns I grew up with them.What I found rather weird was that Keith stated that he had started carrying his gun after hearing about how gruesome a knife fight can end(wow what a revelation).And your right life isn`t unicorns and rainbows if it was maybe people wanting to attack you with a knife would start wielding it from 30 feet away giving you enough time to easily shoot him down in a clean and professional manner.In the real world you are probably going to be taken by surprise and if someone pulls a knife on you he is going to be pretty close to you.By the way I lived in the states for three years and I think i get the cultural differences ,my point being if you are attacked by someone carrying a knife in the US or europe chances are the outcome is going to be pretty messy.So I would have to agree that it is best to avoid potential conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by matt79 View Post
    @AFKitchenknivesguy
    Please do me a favour and don`t try and turn this into a you europeans don`t understand are basic right to carry fire arms in the US thread .I have know problems with guns I grew up with them.What I found rather weird was that Keith stated that he had started carrying his gun after hearing about how gruesome a knife fight can end(wow what a revelation).And your right life isn`t unicorns and rainbows if it was maybe people wanting to attack you with a knife would start wielding it from 30 feet away giving you enough time to easily shoot him down in a clean and professional manner.In the real world you are probably going to be taken by surprise and if someone pulls a knife on you he is going to be pretty close to you.By the way I lived in the states for three years and I think i get the cultural differences ,my point being if you are attacked by someone carrying a knife in the US or europe chances are the outcome is going to be pretty messy.So I would have to agree that it is best to avoid potential conflict.
    Yes, in close quarters a gun will probably not help you much if someone is wielding a knife a ready position and your gun is holstered. I think we agree on this point, there was never a Europe theme in my diatribe, although I can see why you would think that since said countries are pretty restrictive in ways to protect yourself. Depending on where you go in Europe, there can be very different laws and mindsets, particularly Sweden. With that said, many Asian countries and Australia are the same way. It's best to master common sense and situational awareness before mastering physical self-protections.

It's not just the latter countries/areas of the world. I'm planning a trip to go camping at a national park in California. It's well known that California is pretty strict on their gun laws. Well, the places I want to camp have bears and mountain lions, but I'm not allowed to use a gun to protect myself. Note I wrote use...I'm allowed to bring a gun. Well, I'll practice our common sense/situational awareness credo and hope it works out...or I'll just practice my basic human right to self protection and blow that mountain lion away. I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six. Stay safe!
    Jason

Yeah mate you should definitely take your guns camping.I have heard an unarmed fight with a bear or mountain lion can be "nasty business".You might also want to keep an eye out for racoons they might look cute at first glance but don't let that fool you into not executing your basic human right for self protection.When dealing with wild animals it's always better to shoot first ask questions later .They just don't respond well to dialogue and lack a basic understanding of moral and ethical values in my opinion.Enjoy your holiday.

Fighters

I spent a few months living in a national park in MT. A handgun or a knife is basically useless against both bears and mountain lions; mountain lions because if they are stalking you, chances are you are not going to see them until you are mauled, bears because they are bears and a handgun round isn't going to knock them down. Good food containment, being loud, and as a last resort bear spray are going to be much more effective in not getting mauled by wildlife.
    Some people don't like guns, other people do. STFU about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dardeau View Post
    I spent a few months living in a national park in MT. A handgun is basically useless against both bears and mountain lions; mountain lions because if they are stalking you, chances are you are not going to see them
    10mm for hiking, shotgun with slugs for camp.
    Jason

Also if you are in moose country look out. Those things have a worse temper than bears.

Back to the topic - I've had a Randall Model-1 since 1973. Mine is high carbon tool steel and has seen years of field use. It's a great all purpose knife, but it is a "fighting knife" by design. Look at the relief around the choil in front of the the hilt. It is large enough for the index finger to wrap around for thrusting and the pinky for stabbing. This locks the grip and lessens the chance of losing control of the knife in action. The nut on the pommel isn't just for looks it's for delivering a concentrated blow. I still take it with me on trips you just never know.