Hello from the Soccer world!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luis

Reaction score
Hello!

About a year ago I started my research for a kitchen knife, trying to find one to last a few generations on the family. After having more than a dozen of "this-is-my-last-choice" knives, I think I have the last tough decision almost solved.

I'm 23 years old, I do not cook professionally but I love to cook at home, as well as I do love cutlery (for outdoors, kitchen, sharpening...). Been through tons of forum pages regarding how to sharpen, geometry, (a)symmetry, types of steels, hardness, brands, knife styles, etc, etc....

Started to practice sharpening on a couple of cheap Tramontina Carbon steel knives, with good results but little edge retention... Can't wait for my 1st japanese knife!!

Onwards on the subject, I have now narrowed my choices to 2 knives, leaning more towards the 2nd:

1- 240mm Hiromoto Aogami Steel

2- 240mm Gesshin Uraku White #2 Steel

The Hiromoto AS has a great reputation of being very good cutter, good steel, good looks, good F/F, ease of sharpening, but I'm told handling is really a matter of personal preference (western, blocky handle....).

As for the Uraku, I'm starting to like the idea of traditional Wa-handles and this knife seems like a lot of bang for the buck... I think octagonal shape of the handle is kind of hard to see on knives at this price point. The White#2 steel is also good they say and I'm already used to take care of carbon blades.

So the real question is: (considering a 1-knife-to-do-all that will be cared with love) Am I fine with the Uraku for slight less dollar or is the Hiromoto so legendary that I will feel the need to get it sooner or later to fulfill my soul? hahhahaha

Thanks in advance, sorry for the long post but I'm glad I was able to definitely put it in words! Hope I've made myself clear hahahaha

OFF: Right now USA scores 2x1 against Portugal! Congrats!

Welcome.
The draw bites, but we can do better against Germany.

Thank you all for receiving me!

Marcelo: I live in Florianópolis - SC and you? It's good to see some brazucas around here!

Hi Luis, I'm not from BRA but have a bit of a coração brasileiro.

Still, BRA were extremely lucky to progress over Chile! Colombia could be too strong.

Asteger: yesterday's match just pushed our hearts to the limit! Oh man, that was hard! Also because my heart is half Chilean (dad comes from Chile, although he likes Brazil more), it's tough to have to send them home :/

Anyway, next match against Colombia is gonna be interesting!

Love Brasil, but would also be nice to see a new WC champion - Holland or Colombia.

I am rooting for the underdogs America and Costa Rica

Brasil has been very disappointing tbh, as is my national team; the Netherlands. It hink its either going to be Germany, France or Argentina winning this time.

After seeing that wonderful brazilian team of '82 losing to the italians i realized the best not always win. If the competion was a long one won by points the story would be different. More fair (in the sense that the best would have more chances to prove it) although less dramatic. The same thing happened to the hungarians in 54 and the dutch in 74 in my opinion.

one sport where the underdogs can actually have a really good shot at winning...the American team is going to have their hands full with Hazzard, Lukaku, and De Bruyna and Kompany if he plays? LET'S GO RED WHITE AND BLUE YOU CAN DO IT!

As a German, I know all about losing undeservedly against the Italians. But then again, we were the ones doing it to Hungary in 54 and Holland in 74 :) Mixed experiences with the round of 16, so far. Waiting for the second half of the US game. They are holding up well, but then Belgium seems to score late in the games, we'll see.

Oh, and welcome to KKF,

Stefan

Hi, Stefan. Yes, the italians have a such a defensive (in a good way) system of playing that matches well the world cup rules. Interesting that the other day the tv showed Fabio Cannavaro (sat near Lothar Mattäus) saying that the italians were losing that strong defensive system that is their trademark. Regarding your predictions, you nailed it. And to think that before the game started i thought the US would win, based on their incredible improvement along these last world cups. I gues i will open a thread to further discuss world cup events, if it's ok.

It's funny to see how my introductory thread with a rushed question about comparing knives turned into a peaceful debate about soccer hahahahahaha

I'm not complaining though, it just shows you guys are persons who can discuss a subject without offending one another. At least that was my first impression.

About my knife selection.... Anyone has an opinion? I just wanted to know if a Hiromoto AS would be so much better than a Gesshin Uraku, as i'm about to pull the trigger on this one real soon!

Thank you

Hi, Luís, i hope i didn't misused too much your thread. I have already opened another one in the off-topic section called "Who will win the world cup" just to discuss that :)
I have offered my two cents at the thread you opened asking about it as i have had good results with Watanabe. Not sure if you saw my post since you are asking here.

Marcelo: no problems! I just saw and replied the other thread ;)

erikz: Argentina noooo! hahahaha All brazilians feel an extreme rivalry with Argentina, it's just crazy! My mom goes crazely mad when they win hahahahahahaha

Marcelo: no problems! I just saw and replied the other thread ;)

erikz: Argentina noooo! hahahaha All brazilians feel an extreme rivalry with Argentina, it's just crazy! My mom goes crazely mad when they win hahahahahahaha

Well lets settle for the Netherlands then :p

Hello and welcome to the Forum, I hope you find it as useful and helpful of knowledge as I have, and it is fun to dive inthe inmense pool of knowledge its members have.

Back