Powder Steel.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torbjörn

Reaction score
Have a question if anyone has experience using powder steel in their chef's knives, I'm thinking for example of Sandvik Elmax or Damasteel. they read it looks like it has exseptionella properties.

I have knives in zdp189, sg2 and m390. I'll go over my opinion of them in general since the question is a little vague

Sharpening - takes slightly longer to raise a burr
Edge retention - loses 100% sharpness very quickly; maintains 80-90% for a pretty long time
Refinishing - if the knife is clad, then it's pretty easy. For a monosteel knife, it really really sucks

Like with any other knife, make sure you buy from a reputable vendor/good knifemaker.

Several makers like Pierre and Butch use CPM150. I think XHP is one as well (used by Butch). Pierre has used Damasteel on some knives before. You should be able to search for info on a damasteel gyuto Pierre passed around a few years ago.

Several makers like Pierre and Butch use CPM150. I think XHP is one as well (used by Butch). Pierre has used Damasteel on some knives before. You should be able to search for info on a damasteel gyuto Pierre passed around a few years ago.

Butch likes CPM-154 and CTS-XHP both are brilliant steels imo, VERY underrated...

R2 (sg2) is amazing for stainless I find it has a nice toothyness to it. And like the other guys said it loses its bite kinda quick but it stays very sharp for awhile I can easily get through a week of solid prep with it still a decent sharpness.

I have a Henckels Miyabi 6" petty in zdp-189. All I can say is the steel is incredible. How tough and wear resistant is it? My 80 year old parents use it on a daily basis and I still haven't had to sharpen it in 6months with no chipping. I'm still kicking myself for not getting the 240 gyuto when it was on clearance for under $200.

Be well,
Mikey

Thank you for your of reviews, it seems that many are happy with the steel. I think I will try making an effort and make a knife to my best chef friends in Damasteel although it gets a little mess with the heat treatment, you do not have a vacuum oven at home will be this great to have a try .. you hear from me when it is finished or if I fail.
Thanks all

Latest posts

Back