One of the Best Paring Knife I Have Ever Tried - Pics Soon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
I got this knife on loan from Son and I gotta tell you, this is one of the best knife I have ever held. The blade length measures 2.5", nice comfortable handle. I have never made a western handle paring knife, but after trying out this little guy, I am sold.

It's going to be a while before I could offer it as an option, I will keep you posted, but just to give you the heads up.

Also, looking for suggestions for an oyster knife. We talked about this knife over at Son's, but I have never owned an oyster knife, so I would need a heavy input.

Thanks,

Marko

Try out a butch Harner. Carpenter steel. Got mine a few weeks ago based on recommendations and I love it.

Try out a butch Harner. Carpenter steel. Got mine a few weeks ago based on recommendations and I love it.

I know that knife, Rami. That is an excellent parer.

This one however is one I WANT to make a copy of.

M

This is the one that's 150+ years old, right...
Yep, that's the one. I am trying to figure out how they did the bolster on that knife. Sending pics to Devin tomorrow.

M

M

Ohh, you piqued my interest. Do tell

Ps. Was not suggesting you copy anything btw, but it would help if you can work out what nice about different parers and combine into one sweet package :).

Ohh, you piqued my interest. Do tell

Ps. Was not suggesting you copy anything btw, but it would help if you can work out what nice about different parers and combine into one sweet package :).

This one is tiny - 2.5" on the edge, but the width of the blade, the handle, the profile is just to my liking and it does exactly what it is designed to do. You can't reinvent the wheel, so if I find something I like a lot, I just copy it.

Here are the pics...

DSC_1122.jpg

DSC_1121.jpg

DSC_1123.jpg

That knife looks right up your alley! Your handle will be a bit elevated, of course, but that will just make it that much nicer.

I like the lines on that knife!
The knives that come out of this should be very elegant

edit: typo

Looks like one of yours Marko,. Cant wait to see your take on it.

That would be cool. Interesting design, what it's origins, where was it made?

That would be cool. Interesting design, what it's origins, where was it made?

American, 1830's-1840's probably made in Massachusetts. There is a makers mark but, you can't read it at all. This style of knife construction was made for about a hundred years. Braised and pinned pewter bolster with ebony handle and carbon steel blade. Upgraded versions would have ivory handles and a silver wash over the steel. They often came with horn, cattle bone or ox bone handles. They were very common throughout the Civil War period up into the 20's. This particular one is older and at one point I had a slicer and 5 in table knife that matched it but, for the life of me I can't find them or remember who made them. Theory has a small slicer of mine that looks very similar that was made by J. ward around 1880-1890

Wow, thanks for the info, interesting blade design for that time period.

Looks similar to a james drabble that's on ebay, looking forward to seeing your take on it

Looks like a terrific knife.

And thank you for the comments on the "Harner parer". :)

I will most likely just copy the profile of this parer and use my guard/bolster approach with a hidden tang handle. A long way before I will take orders for this one though.

Back