Quantcast
MAC TO GYU-300
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAC TO GYU-300

MAC TO GYU-300

Hi everyone. First post here. Been lurking for a while but decided to get out there and post a question.

Has anyone ever used a Mac TO GYU-300 knife? The knife is quite expensive (close to $1k here in Canada) so I wonder if the knife is really worth the money it commands.

I may have an opportunity to get the knife for $450-$500 so I'm wondering if anyone could give me his 2 cents on this knife.

I was looking for a Gyuto 270mm but this knife seems like a good deal (relative deal since it's still $500 for a knife!!!).

Thanks in advance.

Welcome Greg!

Personally, I would explore other options before investing in a $500 - 3 month lead time - 300mm MAC wa-gyuto. Even at that price.

If you are after a 270mm, get a 270mm imo...
    Maybe fill in the generic questionnaire sticky, I'm sure you could get some alternate suggestions for 270mm gyutos..

If it's a Honyaki blade, which I could not find the answer to, then the price is right. Made in Japan by renowned Sakai craftsman (I don't think they would lie). If it's a san-mai construction I think for $500+ you are better of with Shigefusa. I mean paying such money to mass producer for a knife does not sound right :P

Looks like it actually is Honyaki, so you'd be getting a good deal. http://www.mac-international.com/to-series.htm

That's a pretty good deal in many ways, but only if it's what you want long-term. My longest blade right now is a 250--can't imagine using a 300mm knife much.

What kind of setting are you using it in? And what's your current go to knife? Are you experienced enough to get the most out of this knife? I generally see that Honyaki blades are for more experienced users.

Stain resistant Hitachi steel? Could be a Ginsanko honyaki I guess, could be zen-ko in the way the Suisin Inox Honyaki (I know, it's 19c27) is.

One thing is for sure, it isn't the "Honyaki" that it is most often discussed here, i.e. mizu- or abura- honyaki, differentially hardened carbon steel.

How do you get honyaki from this...

"WA-GYUTOU CHEF'S KNIFE
    Thin-bladed Japanese chef's knife for most general cutting chores. Surprisingly light in weight and very sharp. Sharpened from both sides with the ultimate MAC edge. Glides effortless through meat, fish, and vegetables, and holds the edge extremely well."

One would think if the knife is differentially hardened and forged with a traditional honyaki method it would clearly be advertised.

Stain resistant Hitachi?... Its Hitachi Blue. Dont know where you guys are getting your information from...

At the top of the section it clearly says, "TO-SERIES
    HONYAKI TOKUSHUKOU BETTCHO MASAHISASAKU"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regardless if it's true honyaki or not. The profile looks awful..

looks a ton like the mac pro profile but maybe thinner and with a wa handle. I have the mac pro 270 and the similarities in profile to my DT itk 270 are eerie. I love both of em btw.

Quote Originally Posted by MowgFace View Post
    At the top of the section it clearly says, "TO-SERIES
    HONYAKI TOKUSHUKOU BETTCHO MASAHISASAKU"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah... clearly describing it as the 'Tokushukou' series - meaning select steel... NOT Honyaki....
    where as the 'Honyaki" Line 'HONYAKI SENSHUIZUMINOKAMI MASAHISASAKU' from the SE series contains ONLY Usuba, Deba and Yanagi's... NOT wa-gyuto...

To clarify, It's still not a Honyaki.
    Last edited by Nmko; 06-25-2014 at 12:39 AM. Reason: spelling correction