MAC TO GYU-300

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luc_greg

Reaction score
Hi everyone. First post here. Been lurking for a while but decided to get out there and post a question.

Has anyone ever used a Mac TO GYU-300 knife? The knife is quite expensive (close to $1k here in Canada) so I wonder if the knife is really worth the money it commands.

I may have an opportunity to get the knife for $450-$500 so I'm wondering if anyone could give me his 2 cents on this knife.

I was looking for a Gyuto 270mm but this knife seems like a good deal (relative deal since it's still $500 for a knife!!!).

Thanks in advance.

Welcome Greg!

Personally, I would explore other options before investing in a $500 - 3 month lead time - 300mm MAC wa-gyuto. Even at that price.

If you are after a 270mm, get a 270mm imo...
Maybe fill in the generic questionnaire sticky, I'm sure you could get some alternate suggestions for 270mm gyutos..

If it's a Honyaki blade, which I could not find the answer to, then the price is right. Made in Japan by renowned Sakai craftsman (I don't think they would lie). If it's a san-mai construction I think for $500+ you are better of with Shigefusa. I mean paying such money to mass producer for a knife does not sound right :p

Looks like it actually is Honyaki, so you'd be getting a good deal. http://www.mac-international.com/to-series.htm

That's a pretty good deal in many ways, but only if it's what you want long-term. My longest blade right now is a 250--can't imagine using a 300mm knife much.

What kind of setting are you using it in? And what's your current go to knife? Are you experienced enough to get the most out of this knife? I generally see that Honyaki blades are for more experienced users.

Stain resistant Hitachi steel? Could be a Ginsanko honyaki I guess, could be zen-ko in the way the Suisin Inox Honyaki (I know, it's 19c27) is.

One thing is for sure, it isn't the "Honyaki" that it is most often discussed here, i.e. mizu- or abura- honyaki, differentially hardened carbon steel.

How do you get honyaki from this...

"WA-GYUTOU CHEF'S KNIFE
Thin-bladed Japanese chef's knife for most general cutting chores. Surprisingly light in weight and very sharp. Sharpened from both sides with the ultimate MAC edge. Glides effortless through meat, fish, and vegetables, and holds the edge extremely well."

One would think if the knife is differentially hardened and forged with a traditional honyaki method it would clearly be advertised.

Stain resistant Hitachi?... Its Hitachi Blue. Dont know where you guys are getting your information from...

At the top of the section it clearly says, "TO-SERIES
HONYAKI TOKUSHUKOU BETTCHO MASAHISASAKU"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regardless if it's true honyaki or not. The profile looks awful..

looks a ton like the mac pro profile but maybe thinner and with a wa handle. I have the mac pro 270 and the similarities in profile to my DT itk 270 are eerie. I love both of em btw.

At the top of the section it clearly says, "TO-SERIES
HONYAKI TOKUSHUKOU BETTCHO MASAHISASAKU"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah... clearly describing it as the 'Tokushukou' series - meaning select steel... NOT Honyaki....
where as the 'Honyaki" Line 'HONYAKI SENSHUIZUMINOKAMI MASAHISASAKU' from the SE series contains ONLY Usuba, Deba and Yanagi's... NOT wa-gyuto...

To clarify, It's still not a Honyaki.

Last edited:
Yeah... clearly describing it as the 'Tokushukou' series - meaning select steel... NOT Honyaki....
where as the 'Honyaki" Line 'HONYAKI SENSHUIZUMINOKAMI MASAHISASAKU' from the SE series contains ONLY Usuba, Deba and Yanagi's... NOT wa-gyuto...

To clarify, It's still not a Honyaki.

I actually think that the description of "TO-SERIES HONYAKI TOKUSHUKOU BETTCHO MASAHISASAKU" is quite confusing. Complete opposite of clear ... :-/
Any who, I was trying to find a value to the knife, since most of non damascus Japanese blades I've seen at this price point ($1000) are Honyaki.

How do you get honyaki from this...

"WA-GYUTOU CHEF'S KNIFE
Thin-bladed Japanese chef's knife for most general cutting chores. Surprisingly light in weight and very sharp. Sharpened from both sides with the ultimate MAC edge. Glides effortless through meat, fish, and vegetables, and holds the edge extremely well."

One would think if the knife is differentially hardened and forged with a traditional honyaki method it would clearly be advertised.

Stain resistant Hitachi?... Its Hitachi Blue. Dont know where you guys are getting your information from...

How about you provide some evidence for that?

From MAC's own desccription:

TO-SERIES

HONYAKI TOKUSHUKOU BETTCHO MASAHISASAKU

TOKUSHUKOU means "special selection metal" in Japanese. The blades have the sharpness of the traditional Japanese chef's knives, but don't rust the way the traditional Japanese HAGANE steel does.

Made from a single layer of the finest quality stain resistant Japanese Hitachi steel. Thin blades, light, extremely sharp, slightly flexible and very rust resistant. Comfortable octagonal wooden handles with buffalo horn bolster for optimal comfort. The TOKUSHUKOU series is manufactured in the old swordmaking city Seki, Japan, by skilled Japanese blade smiths. Final sharpening done by hand in Sakai.

As has already been pointed out, it is being marketed as Honyaki, hence the use of the word "Honyaki". Sheesh.

Personally, I would guess that it's a zen-ko knife.

When I googled "MAC TO GYU-300" both of the links above came up. One said it's Hitachi Aogami but doesn't say if it's honyaki. But the other says it's honyaki but doesn't say it's Aogami... So I thought it's blue honyaki until I found this in Rakuten: http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/ahirunodrug/item/ccl3798o/
It says it's "Hitachi Silver 3 steel main firing" which means it's silver3 honyaki???

Welcome Greg!

Personally, I would explore other options before investing in a $500 - 3 month lead time - 300mm MAC wa-gyuto. Even at that price.

If you are after a 270mm, get a 270mm imo...
Maybe fill in the generic questionnaire sticky, I'm sure you could get some alternate suggestions for 270mm gyutos..

I think you're right, I will fill in the questionnaire this week end. I will have access to a laptop so I can detail as much as I can.

One thing for sure this knife description on the web site is not clear. There's a store which carries the knife and it's heavily discounted since they are getting rid of the MAC brand. From what I understand, MAC doesn't seem to have any Canadian distributor (quote from the store manager).

Thanks for all the feedback!!!

Back