Carbons to look for on the bay

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Having met Son and his amazing collection of old dirty carbon, I want to expand beyond the forgies I have and like to other old carbon brands (I guess they will mostly be made out of 1095??)

Anyway, I know nothing about any old carbon except for forgies because I bought a couple on the bay before they went crazy expensive in price and was looking for advice on what to look for in other brands, things to be wary of etc..

TIA

shapleigh hammer forge, Robeson, Meridien, Universal, Case XX, Winchester, Clyde, John Ward, AETNA,Russel green river works, Vintage Dexter, Harrington, LF&C, Latham & Owen, Vintage Ontario Knife Works, Queen, Burns and a bunch of unmarked American Vintage Carbon blades. These are just a few companies off the top of my head.

BOOM. Now that's a recommendation. Thanks Son.

Were Cattaraugus any good? I guess they were tied in with Case somehow. I have a razor from them that's quite nice.

Pay close attention to photos. There is alot of vintage carbon crap on the bay. There are many many oversharpened chefs knives for sale that no longer cut like they should. Usually theyre a PITA to correct.

cattaraugus made good knives. Ralph is a little expensive on most of his stuff but, he usually sells good stuff. It's not plated

cattaraugus made good knives. Ralph is a little expensive on most of his stuff but, he usually sells good stuff. It's not plated
Cheers. Style seemed to suit me and the condition looks pretty good for its age (I think), so I took a risk on it. My razor seems to be quite hard, and I think the NY razor makers had a reputation for that, but I have no idea about the kitchen cutlery side of things.

cattuagarus, made knives for the military along with Ontario knife works, camillus and clyde. They had to last a long time, be tough and easily sharpenable. They are tough knives.

Back