Started sharpening knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score
Hello hello :)

Sometimes I get recruited into doing things without my consent. I walked into work one day and my mother pulls me aside with Vincent to tell me that I'm going to learn how to sharpen knives. (Note the words "tell me" not "ask me.")

So... I have started to sharpen knives.

IMG_0056_zps749c4877.jpg

This is my little station now. (The green liquid is anti-rust chemicals.)

My training sessions consists of Vincent crushing the edge and polishing it, then me sharpening it and trying to avoid scratching the surface. Sometimes he crushes the edge to a point where it takes me 30 minutes to even get a slight burr on it... Maybe this is revenge for something I did. :angel2::dontknow:

IMG_0058_zps1fcdfc90.jpg

Myself. "... no burr..."

Thanks for reading! :D

Congrats, Mari! It is a skill well worth knowing. As your responsibilities continue to grow at the shop you will be well-equipped to tackle whatever they throw your way. You'll be the supreme ruler at some point.

Congrats, Mari! It is a skill well worth knowing. As your responsibilities continue to grow at the shop you will be well-equipped to tackle whatever they throw your way. You'll be the supreme ruler at some point.

Thanks! I'm sure I'm going to have a million questions, so I'll be posting in the sharpening subform more... Which admittedly makes me happy, since that means I can be a part of the conversation. :)

Congrats on the new career 'choice':biggrin:
I bet in no time you will be sharpening better than a lot of us with the tuition you will get:)

no gloves? those liquid looks like coolant.

At least he isn't making you sit on the floor:D

A hui hou,
Mikey

Hi Mari,

I've changed my mind. I don't want Mr. Sugai to sharpen my knives; I want Ms. Sugai.

This might be as much for Vincent as for Mari. Teaching helps you learn.

This might be as much for Vincent as for Mari. Teaching helps you learn.

Yes. :) He is moving on to traditional Japanese knives now too. He has been learning Western knives for 4 years now and focusing his energy there. He was excited Mr. Sugai told him he was ready.

Congrats Mari! Sounds like you are enjoying your new career ;)

My training sessions consists of Vincent crushing the edge and polishing it, then me sharpening it and trying to avoid scratching the surface. Sometimes he crushes the edge to a point where it takes me 30 minutes to even get a slight burr on it... Maybe this is revenge for something I did. :angel2::dontknow:

I'm curious what's crushing the edge?

Vincent sounds tough - but we know better. Is he buying ice cream when it all comes together?

LOL Funny you mention that, because I was showing him an article about the best ice cream in the city this morning.

He is using the wheel to crush the edge then polishing it, so we know if I'm wobbling or too low and scratching the surface.

I keep scratching the knife up. D:

Poor Vincent. Has to keep polishing your scratchy blade faces...

Back