Help deciding 1st gyuto!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luis

Reaction score
Hello!

Came to the forum in search for help picking up my 1st gyuto, so I guess I can start answering that ultimate questionnaire....

KNIFE TYPE
Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
Right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
At first I thought a western handle would be better, but i'm starting to like the idea of japanese handles... mainly octagonal shaped

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
US$ 150 tops, for one gyuto

KNIFE USE
Home cook as a hobby, 2-3 times a week more or less

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for?
Slicing, chopping and mincing vegetables, slicing and trimming meats

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
A pair of really cheap Tramontina Carbon Steel knives which I use to practice my sharpening skills

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?
Pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use?
Push cut, drawing, walking, slicing and wanting to learn rocking motion

What improvements do you want from your current knife?
Mainly edge retention and comfort. Aestethics comes stock with any good japanese blade!

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board?
Plastic board, planing to own an End grain cutting board

Do you sharpen your own knives?
Yes, starting on this craft.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives?
Already have some.... but yes. Always! ahahahah

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

After about 1 year of researching, lately I've settled my alternatives to 2 knives... I really really like the deal on that Gesshin Uraku 240mm White #2 gyuto (so much that I'm about to buy it, impulsively):

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...in-uraku-240mm-white-2-kurouchi-wa-gyuto.html

But I'm still considering a Hiromoto AS 240mm gyuto.... Are these two comparable? The Hiromoto has good reputation but I really don't know what to expect from either one.....

Could you guys help me?

Thank you in advance!

Luis.

kevpenbanc: Thanks for the tip! I liked the site, but I actually wanted an octagonal handle... Aren't those Tanaka knives supposed to sell at a very high price? Why is this one much cheaper? Looks good, really, but can't find specs, measures, etc...

Marcelo: Sorry I took longer to see the posts here.. my budget is limited and I want a 240mm knife. If the 180mm gyuto already costs this much, imagine the other! hahahahah

kevpenbanc: Thanks for the tip! I liked the site, but I actually wanted an octagonal handle... Aren't those Tanaka knives supposed to sell at a very high price? Why is this one much cheaper? Looks good, really, but can't find specs, measures, etc...

Marcelo: Sorry I took longer to see the posts here.. my budget is limited and I want a 240mm knife. If the 180mm gyuto already costs this much, imagine the other! hahahahah
that is a Tanaka, the more expensive one your are most likely thinking about is a Takeda, one hell of a knife, just not my cup of tea, I might hop on that Tanaka nice deal!

Tanaka makes some significantly more expensive knives, as well. Their knives with R2 steel are in the 400+ range.

forgot about the R2 Ironwood's those can go for a good penny

They also make R2's with WA handle's. Beautiful knives.

Yeah, I saw one Tanaka R2 on sale for $650 !
Think it was at Tosho (?) - a fairly recent thread.
Nice knife.

I like my cheapo Tanaka a lot, but I have nowhere near the knife experience of most people on this forum.
The handle is a D handle not octogon. I think it probably took me a little while to realise that when I received it :)

nice man, is that going to be your first AWESOME! knife?

Yup. Anyways, we've completely derailed this thread.

I'd suggest the Tanaka, personally, if you're willing to take care of a carbon blade.

So you guys tell me to go cheap Tanaka oval Wa handle with damascus blue#2? I wanted to know how it compares to the Uraku, really...

Sorry if I'm being too picky, but that Uraku just twisted my mind hahahah Now I'm confused again :/

If that's the knife you can't get out of your head, then maybe that's the knife you should go for. If it checks all the boxes on your mental list of what you want, it's probably going to be a pretty good knife for you.

Thanks man! you gave me confidence, I think i'm going to pull the trigger this week (at least spare the money to it). It will be a loooong wait till it comes to me tough

Hey, Luis, have you asked Jon (the owner of JKI - the site that sells the Uraku) what his opinion between the Uraku and the Tanaka blue #2? There is a section here at the forum dedicated for JKI where you can ask, if you want.

Contacted with Jon last night, hope he is able to enlighten me through PM rather than via phone.

Back