Quantcast
advice for a fancy knife - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: advice for a fancy knife

Ah, I was wondering if you went stainless. How does it sharpen?

Quote Originally Posted by rami_m View Post
    Ah, I was wondering if you went stainless. How does it sharpen?
    I've no idea. It came very sharp OOTB so I don't see any reason to sharpen it now. While making new handle for it, I'll probably use it few times to cut vegetables, and will decide from there if it needs to be sharpened before gifting. Anyway, my experience would be very limited and couldn't not justify how this steel really performs. My bet is that Yushikane wouldn't make crap even if you specifically ask them and pay for it

Anton , I believe you can get rid of the etched logo by sand paper or grinder and re etch and reveal the ground sided of the knife again by 400grit sandpaper.
    Good thing is it is nearly not visible from the pictures

Very nice looking knife! Horrible logo Mark better change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Twistington View Post
    The way I see it is that when you put together a knife for loved ones, if it's too "nice" the knife won't be used. And that's the point I feel a knife is a faliure, people tend to forget that a knife is a tool, a tool made for cutting things.

A tool should never be a hurdle, even if it looks fantastic... that's just a bonus.
    If this is the case,.. well, it can be paired up with another cheap Japanese knife for actual use purpose. Human is weird, I'm one of those people who won't use a tool when it looks too majestic and precious. Same for those tameshigiri guys, who wants to use an authentic Katana for cutting hard stuff?

+1, knives not used as tools = pointless.

Knowing Yoshikane, this thing will not need babying/be a fragile knife.

Don't think she will mind the Logo. Maybe get her a saya for it. It is true most people abuse their knives couple years ago eating at my nieces house, they had a German knife block set, very dull battered edges. I gave her a Togiharu thin profile Inox with a saya. Taught her how to sharpen it & knife care lecture. She cooks all the time for Husband & 3 kids, luvs the Togiharu and takes very good care of it. It only takes a couple minutes to teach knife care, most people are ignorant, all it takes is a change in mindset.

Anton, the handle is beautiful, looks great with the blade. I suspect she will be thrilled with what you gift her.

Made a few handles specifically for this blade, so my parents could choose the one the like the most. Yesterday they made their choice. Picked of the older handles that was made for completely different blade, though it looks very similar to the previous pic that I posted.

Hope new owner will enjoy using it.

Great knife with a beautiful beautiful handle. Awesome gift Anton. In case you were wondering, my birthday is June 23 .