Quantcast
advice for a fancy knife - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: advice for a fancy knife

It's the gifting of the knife that's important, not the fate of the knife. In this scenario he's wrong.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Quote Originally Posted by mhpr262 View Post
    Except we like knives and were actively interested in learning how to use and maintain them. That's how we became better.

99% of people don't give a sh!t. He isn't wrong.
    OP said "On the contrary, this knife should look and perform way better then any other knife she has ever used. I believe that's the only way that may guide her into learning about kitchen knives and proper care. And it may happen that she already knew how to deal with such stuff, as she's very knowledgeable person."

You are welcome to be as clubby as you want to, but it's not a pretty sight.

I've watched you with some of your re handles. I wish I was on your birthday list. I suspect as a cooking enthusiast she will love what you give her. Maybe include a little history of the maker, the re handler and recommended care and sharpening.

Quote Originally Posted by jsjs103121 View Post
    Yep, I saw this too.
    It is a really pretty looking knife.
    The price for 180mm santoku is AUD 469.99 here.

Just how long do you imagine that pretty scene of Mt Fuji will remain pretty? Or is it etched in?

Rick

An hour ago I got an email from JCK about new collection of Mr.Itou knives. After checking those knives I decided that Itou knives aren't suited for this occasion. I mean I'm going to make a custom handle, and Itou knives already has a pretty special handles, so it would be an act of vandalism from my side to rehandle it.

Almost completely settled on Yoshikane petty. Just can't decide if I should go with EE, or save 100$ and get a similarly looking Richmond Damascus (which is also made by Yoshikane).

Quote Originally Posted by icanhaschzbrgr View Post
    Almost completely settled on Yoshikane petty. Just can't decide if I should go with EE, or save 100$ and get a similarly looking Richmond Damascus (which is also made by Yoshikane).
    Same maker, not same steel. The one's sold by EE are SLD at around RC63, the richmond is ATS314 at RC61. Not familiar with ATS314 and couldn't find it on Gators site, but I really like the Yoshi SLD.

Be well,
    Mikey
    Available handles- http://s64.photobucket.com/user/mkri...able%20handles

Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

Quote Originally Posted by mkriggen View Post
    Same maker, not same steel. The one's sold by EE are SLD at around RC63, the richmond is ATS314 at RC61. Not familiar with ATS314 and couldn't find it on Gators site, but I really like the Yoshi SLD.

Be well,
    Mikey
    Mikey , I think it's ats 34

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

Yeah, probably, but the dum bass lists it as ats314.

Be well,
    Mikey
    Available handles- http://s64.photobucket.com/user/mkri...able%20handles

Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

The parcel with knife arrived today, so here's what I got: a 150mm Richmond Damascus. I wasn't really comfortable ordering something under Richmond brand, but price was too good to resist.

Richmond logo is there, but you'd need to look hard to spot black logo on black damascus. And that's a good thing.
    Blade looks pretty in terms of F&F. OOTB edge was one of the most sharp OOTB edges I've seen.

So far this knife looks pretty promising. I might post a small update later, when I try cutting some food with it and make a new handle.

May I suggest you to carve the recipient's name into your custom handle, specially & exclusively for her so that she will really treat it like gold. This is one majestic knife.