Vintage Japanese Scissor. Kanji?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Magnus

Reaction score
Hi guys. I picked up a vintage scissor a few days ago for 2$ (got it from a old woman that has a passed away husband, he was a sharperner for surgical instruments and much more back in the days). The action is great, cutting better then most other modern scissor i have home right now witch i thought was funny. Not sure what this model is used for but i seen this type of scissors but with smaler cutting edges, used for bonsai trees. Dose anyone here know what this model is used for and even better can read the kanji? :)

DSC02925_zps5e6f1893.jpg

DSC02931_zps9bb20702.jpg

DSC02930_zps7c404332.jpg

i am no way a scissors expert but the kanji (or chinese characters) closely resemble to "王麻子" which is a chinese scissors brand originated in 1651 from northern china. It was a famous brand prior to modern china and gradually being driven out of business by cheap made in china stuff.

so depending on the time of manufacturing, it could be one of the best scissors in its period (if it was a genuine 王麻子,not counterfeit) . I'd say anything made prior to 1980 would be great.

You can read more here (with the help of google translate)
http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/王麻子

Ah chinese! Thank you a ton James! ill haf to look it up more, translated to Wang Mazi. This thing feels very solid and cuts very nice.

The Japanese scissors you are thinking of for banzai trees and herbs are call ueki scissors. They do look very similar but I have no knowledge of wang mazi.

Banzai trees :p Is that a spelling error or are Bonsai also called Banzai trees?

Latest posts

Back