Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Richmond AS/ Kohetsu AS gyutos

Richmond AS/ Kohetsu AS gyutos

Hi guys
    Can you weigh in the differences between these two knives? I'm looking at gyutos and am not sure which 240mm is right for me.

Prolly better of asking on the other sites forum...

From what I´ve read, most members in this forum doesn't like the "ethics" of the maker of such knives you mention. However I have learnt there is a lot of honest knowledgeable people here and certain richmond knife owners. Maybe someone could give you some chimes about those knife you mention but most probably will encourage you to weight other options.

I could give you some examples since I find myself doing a similar research. In AS you could look at the Hiromotos, here you can find enough reviews. Then you can take a look in that price range at the Blue #2 damascus or Ginsan Tanakas, JKI also offer some interesting options depending on what you looking for: Gesshin Uraku, Stainless, zakuri, etc.

Hope it helps.

JJ

Pullox,
    Thanks for your reply

Quote Originally Posted by pullox View Post
    From what I´ve read, most members in this forum doesn't like the "ethics" of the maker of such knives you mention. However I have learnt there is a lot of honest knowledgeable people here and certain richmond knife owners. Maybe someone could give you some chimes about those knife you mention but most probably will encourage you to weight other options.

JJ
    Sorry if this is a delicate subject, but I'm a noobie and naive to knife politics/opinions. Can someone politely inform me so I can make my purchases with more informed opinions? Just from my little bit of reading on several knife forums, I feel like there is a an undercurrent of knowledge about all of this, but I'm completely in the dark and that makes me wary about purchasing from anyone.

Thanks for any help!

Chris

From what I have gathered so far (everyone in the drama involved keeps a tight lip).

One of the founding members here gave honest opinion/review about something wrong with something the other site was selling. Which led to some serious back and forth/drama and in the old knife forums and the community dissolved. This place was founded and after becoming influential some product shilling was caught and the other side moved from ignored to banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzardborn View Post
    From what I have gathered so far (everyone in the drama involved keeps a tight lip).

One of the founding members here gave honest opinion/review about something wrong with something the other site was selling. Which led to some serious back and forth/drama and in the old knife forums and the community dissolved. This place was founded and after becoming influential some product shilling was caught and the other side moved from ignored to banned.
    That's not accurate.

The other site has never been welcome here.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Thanks for the response. Good enough for me. I knew something was up. I don't really need the details unless there's something I need to be warned about as a consumer. Sorry for the thread derailment. Carry on.

Unless you wanna risk and have some money to spare I would not buy Richmond knife without using it for several days first.
    The reason is because KKF is mostly negative/silent towards Richmond brand, CKTG forum will push them hard. ChefTalk's "expert" has some laces with Mark so he will slightly skew your choice.

Basically, I am not too sure you can find enough unbiased reviews on this knives

Quote Originally Posted by SyndicateNova View Post
    Hi guys
    Can you weigh in the differences between these two knives? I'm looking at gyutos and am not sure which 240mm is right for me.
    Does anyone actually have insight to OPs question? That would be nice. FWIW ive heard some really good things about the Richmond laser in AS from some people. Its supposed to be a very well ground knife with good edge retention.