Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Richmond AS/ Kohetsu AS gyutos

Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by cssmd27 View Post
    Sorry if this is a delicate subject, but I'm a noobie and naive to knife politics/opinions. Can someone politely inform me so I can make my purchases with more informed opinions? Just from my little bit of reading on several knife forums, I feel like there is a an undercurrent of knowledge about all of this, but I'm completely in the dark and that makes me wary about purchasing from anyone.

Thanks for any help!

Chris
    Hi Chris,
    This may give you a bit of background.
    Pensacola Tiger linked to this in a recent post:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...-Censored-name

There will probably always be some level of animosity here re: Mark and CKTG. Whether it's deserved or not, relevant or not, is up to the individual consumer.

That being said, I've thought most reviews of the Richmond branded products have been generally unbiased. Consensus seems to be they run "fat", require some work prior to use to be even marginal performers, and do not represent good value even at a relatively low price point.

To the OP, if you'll provide a cost threshold and performance requirements, there are many knives that will meet them. From experienced makers, and excellent vendors. The best way to do that is with the questionnaire here: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...estionnaire-v2
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    That being said, I've thought most reviews of the Richmond branded products have been generally unbiased. Consensus seems to be they run "fat", require some work prior to use to be even marginal performers, and do not represent good value even at a relatively low price point.
    I'm not sure that is the case for all the lines made and sold--they vary a fair amount by price. I've seen some good comments about the AS Laser from a number of commenters (though have not used one myself). I may get blasted for saying anything positive here--I hope not.

My experience with the US made Richmond knives supports Dave's assessment - "fat", require a lot of work, and have fit and finish issues commensurate with their price point.

Those that are made in Japan may be a different story, at least based on the Artifex wa-gyuto I have. Made by Fujiwara, it is a decent performer out of the box, just needing the spine and choil rounded. It would have a place on my block if it weren't for the largest (and possibly ugliest) logo ever etched on a blade:

“I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    My experience with the US made Richmond knives supports Dave's assessment - "fat", require a lot of work, and have fit and finish issues commensurate with their price point.

Those that are made in Japan may be a different story, at least based on the Artifex wa-gyuto I have. Made by Fujiwara, it is a decent performer out of the box, just needing the spine and choil rounded. It would have a place on my block if it weren't for the largest (and possibly ugliest) logo ever etched on a blade:

That logo stopped me from trying out that knife. Seriously, it's so gawdy....

it is so deeply stamped too I tried scrubbing it off with a metal scrubbie

Ha, ha.... LOL.... It took me six months of hand sanding to rid my knife of such an ugly script!

what a bunch of useless replies.
    unlike the rest of the mob of anti richmond, i have used both of the knives in question for a week each. they are nothing like the lamson made ones which i agree are not very good. these two however are good. the kohetsu is a 'laser' in every sense, very light and nimble. the laser AS is one of the best cutters i have tried, second only to my takeda. the grind is very nice on that one, and the steel is fantastic as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kevpenbanc View Post
    Hi Chris,
    This may give you a bit of background.
    Pensacola Tiger linked to this in a recent post:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...-Censored-name
    Thanks for that! Did enough reading to get a gist of it, if not the actual source or details. Regardless, I understand there is a conflict at least.