Quantcast
Proper way to hold a knife

Thread: Proper way to hold a knife

Proper way to hold a knife

Well, every video on YouTube says it is a big no-no to put one's index finger on the back of
    the knife while cutting. So I spent last couple of month slapping myself on the wrist so to say.
    And yet, I just watched a documentary about Japanese sushi chef, and everybody is doing
    exactly that. (They also have this technique when they would do a half cut and then knock
    on the back to finish it.) Is it because they cut fish and it is all control and no power?

When slicing I almost always use my index finger as a guide and for stabity.

agreed when dicing and brunoise or whatever I use the pinch grip, slicing index finger on the spine of the knife

As mentioned above it depends on what you're doing.

There are all sorts of different grips for specific tasks. It's just that a pinch grip is generally best when using a chef's knife (which is itself the knife used the majority of the time).

Pinch with gyuto 95% of the time. Point with all single bevel about 95% of the time.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

the 5% where you don't pinch with a gyuto, is that when you're doing delicate tip work?

Nah, I might be slicing meat or skinning fruit.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

proper way to hold a knife is to hold it by the pointy part toward your palm, and the sharp part in between the webs of your fingers.

kidding aside, there is no wrong way, which ever grip you are most comfortable with is best, just don't hold it too tight. i change my grip constantly depending on what i am doing. i even do the 'hammer' grip that everybody looks down on.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    proper way to hold a knife is to hold it by the pointy part toward your palm, and the sharp part in between the webs of your fingers.

kidding aside, there is no wrong way, which ever grip you are most comfortable with is best, just don't hold it too tight. i change my grip constantly depending on what i am doing. i even do the 'hammer' grip that everybody looks down on.
    I did try once holding the knife like a Wolverine's claw. It was fun for chopping. I had better control and could project more power. But it is dangerous for your finger tips if you are not careful.