Knife as a wedding gift, bad luck or not?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What does the forum think of giving a high quality chef's knife (or set of knives) as a wedding gift? Is the old superstition of the knife symbolically cutting the friendship still in play (in both European and Asian cultures)? There is the idea of giving a coin with the knife for the recipient to "pay" the giver back, so that bad luck is avoided. I am more inclined to feel the superstition should be left behind and giving knives is okay.

What are your thoughts?

I'm Asian and not superstitious. I've given nice knives on several occasions to friends as wedding presents without receiving any money in exchange.

They're all still married and I'm still good friends with all of them.

I say go for it. Wish someone would have given me one as a wedding gift, as it really sucks having to pay for it yourself. Gary

I've gifted many knives as a wedding gift. Still good friends with all of them, though some have divorce due to their own bad luck I'm sure.

I'm not at all superstitious, but I think it would depend on the couple that you're gifting the knife to and your views as well. If they're registered somewhere maybe see if they've listed knives? If they have they likely wouldn't be superstitious. It's at least one way to try and check.

Either way, you can always include a small coin in with a card! In the card explain the superstition (in case they aren't aware) and say something along the lines of "you're friends of mine and I wouldn't want a silly superstition to jeopardize things, so I'm giving you this coin in order to 'pay' for the knife". At the very least they'd hopefully appreciate the thought that went into the whole coin superstition, and they can always give it to you when you meet next or include it as payment in a thank you card when they get around to it?

Just my :2cents:

-Steve

A nice knife would have been the best wedding gift we got besides cash.

In the old days gifting a good knife in Korea used to mean "This knife will protect your wealth and drive away all the bad lucks and demons from your house"
But in these days not many Korean people remember this and most of them think knife as a gift is bad luck. So if I give a knife to someone as a gift without explaining the meaning behind it, they might get offended.

I'd say just go for it. If you are too worried, include a coin and a card like what Steve said above. And you can also make sure they know you are passionate about knives and it is the best gift you can pick for them. I am sure they will appreciate.

Good question.

But it should really be asked the people getting the present (the newlyweds), or someone who knows them well.
i personally would like it very much, but i know some people who might find it in bad taste.
either way, if the bride/groom/both are into high quality cutlery, perhaps it is better to invest in one or two high end knives, rather than a set.
a his and hers set perhaps, with personal engravings, if they are both into cooking.....

Just write a note with it saying it actually 'cuts' bad luck.

Whenever someone buys wedding gifts at the store, they always ask me to put in a quarter. :)

I would worry more about what the bride and groom think than we do. I've been asked more than once for the gift of knives, but some people have no enthusiasm . Often times, they wanted sets I wouldn't likely recommend. Some barely set foot in a kitchen. You probably know who you're for.

2nd what everyone has said about including a coin so the bride and groom can "buy" the knife. I think it's a cute tradition.

For simplicity, though, one of my friends just gave me cash with the instruction to buy a good knife :) That worked too!

Latest posts

Back