Quantcast
Combatdoc worked wonders on my Watanbe knives
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combatdoc worked wonders on my Watanbe knives

Combatdoc worked wonders on my Watanbe knives

A while back Marko mentioned to me that the way Watanabe put his handles on his knives was not waterproof. I was concerned that the tangs would rust as these are my go-to knives. Miguel Martinez (AKA combatdoc) at the old place had rehandled a Shigefusa gyuto for me. I contacted him about my situation and he agreed to rehandle my knives.

This is a link to pics of the work he did and a commentary about the process. http://www.woodsandsteel.net/2011/05...e-project.html I am very happy with his work and the handles feel great. Plus, no more worries about rusting.

Ah, and here I thought we would be hearing a story about field surgery with a chef's knife.

Sounds like it was an epic journey from start to finish anyway though, but it looks like it turned out great in the end!
    - Erik

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    those look great... fun knives for daily use
    Ditto what he said, I love that the handles are a simple but elegant design. Very classy!

I was wondering what happened to Miguel. So he's back to working on knives again, cool.

I thought I read somewhere that he had some ill health and surgery et al...that may be why he has been relativelyt silent....He should be invited over here
    Bert M.

Why?! Because footballs don't have wheels!

Amazing set you have there now!
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by BertMor View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that he had some ill health and surgery et al...that may be why he has been relativelyt silent....He should be invited over here
    No surgery, though close. I just had a slew of issues all hit in tandem. Everything from a mistake on my military contract to legal issues that stemmed from trying to adopt my wife's niece. At any case, this led to less time on hand and me taking too long to take care of prior engagements. Now, with things finally starting to look up, I'm trying to make things right and catch up with all the work that got severely backlogged.

I have a few guys to contact and ship stuff out to, hopefully it all gets mailed out this week.

Regards,
    Miguel (Mike) Martinez

Good to hear from you, I am always happy to see more Texans on the forum, Miguel!

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Good to hear from you, I am always happy to see more Texans on the forum, Miguel!
    Thanks and likewise. Being in NRH, you're only about 30 mins from me anyway.

+ Reply to Thread