Combatdoc worked wonders on my Watanbe knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A while back Marko mentioned to me that the way Watanabe put his handles on his knives was not waterproof. I was concerned that the tangs would rust as these are my go-to knives. Miguel Martinez (AKA combatdoc) at the old place had rehandled a Shigefusa gyuto for me. I contacted him about my situation and he agreed to rehandle my knives.

This is a link to pics of the work he did and a commentary about the process. http://www.woodsandsteel.net/2011/05/handle-project.html I am very happy with his work and the handles feel great. Plus, no more worries about rusting. :)

Ah, and here I thought we would be hearing a story about field surgery with a chef's knife. :laugh:

Sounds like it was an epic journey from start to finish anyway though, but it looks like it turned out great in the end!

I was wondering what happened to Miguel. So he's back to working on knives again, cool.

I thought I read somewhere that he had some ill health and surgery et al...that may be why he has been relativelyt silent....He should be invited over here

I thought I read somewhere that he had some ill health and surgery et al...that may be why he has been relativelyt silent....He should be invited over here

No surgery, though close. I just had a slew of issues all hit in tandem. Everything from a mistake on my military contract to legal issues that stemmed from trying to adopt my wife's niece. At any case, this led to less time on hand and me taking too long to take care of prior engagements. Now, with things finally starting to look up, I'm trying to make things right and catch up with all the work that got severely backlogged.

I have a few guys to contact and ship stuff out to, hopefully it all gets mailed out this week.

Regards,
Miguel (Mike) Martinez

Good to hear from you, I am always happy to see more Texans on the forum, Miguel!

Sounds possible. Since my military contract ended I find myself with a few more free hours in the month.

Thanks Dave, nice place you guys have here.

That's a good looking set of blades,Lovin all that burl.

No surgery, though close. I just had a slew of issues all hit in tandem. Everything from a mistake on my military contract to legal issues that stemmed from trying to adopt my wife's niece. At any case, this led to less time on hand and me taking too long to take care of prior engagements. Now, with things finally starting to look up, I'm trying to make things right and catch up with all the work that got severely backlogged.

I have a few guys to contact and ship stuff out to, hopefully it all gets mailed out this week.

Regards,
Miguel (Mike) Martinez

Good to see you. I thought it had something to do with spinal surgery relating to your service years? Or am I just confused? Which is pretty normal for me LOL. Great to see you back in action

Well, I have this little thing rehandle by Miguel too...

I apologize for the poor picture....

I am very happy with this rehandle job, it's well made and wll fitted.

Seems like it's time to pickup the 2nd rehandle project with Miguel.
5905216899_ed84df4ff0_b.jpg

So here it is, a 300mm Hiro Shiro with WA Conversion and handle by Miguel. (with Ebony and Spalted Tamarind ferule)

Thanks again, Miguel. :thumbsup2:

Bao, is this what you are looking for??? :tease:

Regards,
Miguel (Mike) Martinez

One of the knives that took forever. I know that it was assumed that I had defrauded the owners, but no. I hope to make things right with all of those involved as my integrity is worth more than most everything to me.

Latest posts

Back