Has a knife ever died on you?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt79

Reaction score
hi guys
I bought my first japanese knife a misono ux10 210mm gyuto about 12years ago.It has been used and abused in a pro kitchens all over the world extensively.The tip has broken of several times ,I have sharpened and thinned it god knows how many times(several times before i knew how to sharpen probably).It has changed its use from regular gyuto ,to fish filleting knife(before i used deba),to boning knife for large pieces of meat, to the knife i would let apprentices or my girlfriend work with.The original measurements are 215mm heel to tip and 44mm height at the heel,current measurements are 193mm heel to tip and 33mm height.I can still get it sharp but it is somewhat limited in its use,even my girlfriend prefers to use other knives now.As much as I love the knife for sentimental reasons I feel its death is imminent.Anybody else have similar experiences with knives.

I guess until one snaps a knife into pieces or bends it heavily - it is probably not possible to get so much use out of a knife in private environment so that it would 'die'. With the use I get out of my knives - they will probably outlive me.

Maybe you should contact Misono and send them a photo of you knife - maybe you will get one for free :)

Nice thing about a Gyuto or cleaver you can do plenty cutting & still go. My favorite Gyuto's after years would get worn down but still were good for some jobs. Not so with Sugi's they wear down & become spikes, so little steel at the tip, wear skin off fingers sharpening. Retire them.

There is a video on youtube about the last German grinding master in Solingen who was a master of the finishing technique called "blaupließten", Wilfried Fehrekamp. He worked for Herder Windmühlenmesser. At one point in the video they showed him cutting his sandwich he had packed for lunch with his knife - it was barely recognizable as knife, it had been ground into a sickle shape with years of use :laugh:

hard to imagine tool that would have been less suited to cutting a sandwich :laugh:

Btw he died a couple of years ago, but interest in the old crafts revived just early enough so he could train some apprentices. I recently bought a 9'' herder 1922 chef's knife and the finish of the blade was impeccable. Looks like the craft isn't going to die out anytime soon:doublethumbsup:

I would appreciate it if you could share the link to the said youtube video as I have had no luck searching for it on youtube with "blaupließten", "Wilfried Fehrekamp" or " German grinding master in Solingen". Searching "Herder Windmühlenmesser" returned a whole bunch of videos, all in German and going through them it was difficult to find the one you mentioned.

Found it guys! Fun to watch it from start, but the part mentioned starts as 1:20

[video=youtube;FglH3OvoaCc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FglH3OvoaCc[/video]

it's also funny when he randomly says at 2:03 "WURST, SPECK UND KOCHMESSER. JA WOHL!!"

On the subject, my mom has 2 really really crappy stainless knives that she loves a lot, although the blade started to look like the one in the video. I tried to throw them away, without success :/

Back