Quantcast
Kikuichi Performance TKC
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kikuichi Performance TKC

Kikuichi Performance TKC

I've been waiting forever for the 240mm availibility at thewebsitewhichshallnotbenamed.com and have run out of patience.
    Is there anywhere else that sells the Kikuichi Performance line (overseas Japan for ex.?) A websearch turned up nil.
    Thanks in advance.

Can't help with Kikuichi TKC, but heard several times that CarboNext are basically the same knives (or very close clones), and they are available from JCK.

It used to be that you had to order them from Japan. This is the main shopping site. Here is the gyuto.

Quote Originally Posted by icanhaschzbrgr View Post
    Can't help with Kikuichi TKC, but heard several times that CarboNext are basically the same knives (or very close clones), and they are available from JCK.
    Can anyone else back this up?

I'm in the market for a workhorse, inexpensive 210-240mm gyuto. I've been wanting to try a Kikuicihi TKC & a CarboNext for awhile now.

Tried asking for one on BST?

Quote Originally Posted by JDA_NC View Post
    Can anyone else back this up?

I'm in the market for a workhorse, inexpensive 210-240mm gyuto. I've been wanting to try a Kikuicihi TKC & a CarboNext for awhile now.
    I've owned and used both. The CarboNEXT lacks the refinement in fit and finish that the Kikuichi TKC does, in that the spine and choil areas are sharp edged, but a bit of work will take care of that. In use, they are virtually identical. Koki (of JCK) has stated that the steel is the same, and I have no reason not to believe him. Of course, you don't get that neat chrysanthemum engraved on the blade, but I doubt that's worth the difference in price.
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

I have found my carbonext sujihiki to be quite a bit more reactive than my TKC gyuto. It also was not ground as thin behind the edge, though I suppose it could just be the difference between suji geometry and gyuto geometry. Edge was not sharpened as well either, but I really don't care about out of the box edges.

Either way, sweet knives. Wish you well in finding what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    I've owned and used both. The CarboNEXT lacks the refinement in fit and finish that the Kikuichi TKC does, in that the spine and choil areas are sharp edged, but a bit of work will take care of that. In use, they are virtually identical. Koki (of JCK) has stated that the steel is the same, and I have no reason not to believe him. Of course, you don't get that neat chrysanthemum engraved on the blade, but I doubt that's worth the difference in price.
    Awesome. Thanks!

i havent tried tkc, but i have a carbonext and it's not very good. for a cheapo you're better off spending even less and get a tojiro dp, it's quite the bang/buck. or if you dont mind doing some thinning, hiromoto g3 is likely good, i have the AS and it's decent.

Never touched a Carbonext but I have an oldish 240 TKC and its a very solid knife that I really enjoy using. Borderline laser that is a workhorse for a thin blade that you don't have to baby much or wipe dry constantly. Not at the top of my rotation but it always amazes how well it performs when I pull it out, great for a long day of prep. Reactivity is almost non issue, F&F is B+. I have no idea how much they go for now but I got it when it was around $160, not sure if I would be jumping to get one for 200+.