Quantcast
Deba?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deba?

Deba?

Looking to upgrade my deba, and learn more about proper use and sharpening tehnique. I've got an inexpensive deba (90 with saya five years ago I think) Minamoto brand i'm pretty sure. Hae been told by a coworker that it is worth spending a little more for better steel/heat treat.

180mm will be using it for whole fish mainly but Have been advised to use it on duck and chickena s well in the past (instead of a honesuke/garasuki).

i know a lot of people that say deba is good for chicken and duck, but i totally disagree (aside from the fact that i have issues with this misuse of a deba which is really not designed for that kind of work). Honesuki, garasuki, or even a petty (depending on the petty) are MUCH better for the job. For fish, i havent found anything i like better than a deba yet.

They say with proper technique they shouldn't be an issue. I don't know proper technique though ha.

I prefer boning or paying knife for chicken

Check Jons videos for proper use of Deba on YouTube under JKI

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    i know a lot of people that say deba is good for chicken and duck, but i totally disagree (aside from the fact that i have issues with this misuse of a deba which is really not designed for that kind of work). Honesuki, garasuki, or even a petty (depending on the petty) are MUCH better for the job. For fish, i havent found anything i like better than a deba yet.
    Wow I didn't know this and am guilty of this misuse myself. Thanks for the clear up.

Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

thanks for the links. they remind me of when i used to spend all morning watching itisan18 videos on youtube. Its nice to see them done, but without narration or somebody explaining WHY they are doing each step the WAY that they are doing it I don't feel like I'm learning everything there is to know. I know the procedure of breaking down a fish in that style, at a previous job wed get many large fish that I would use my deba for (grouper, sea bass, snappers). But at that time the only people I knew that I could physically talk to about it were of the mindset that its going to chip going through large fish bones and that it wasn't worth spending more than 100-125 on a deba. I'd like to really dive into the use of these knives (it doesnt hurt to know what the **** you are doing in a pro kitchen either). I am certain there is a specific technique around going through the ribs that works with the blade structure and what not.

And why do those guys never wipe their knife in those two videos. It bugs me when people do that at work too. Dirty knives cause the flesh to stick when you are slicing and thats far from ideal especially with delicate fleshed fish.

As for garasuki/honesuki. Have these been around as long as the traditionals. What did they use for birds before the sukis?

A current coworker suggested this book http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Kitch...apanese+knives. Its not too expensive and I want to know what the hell im doing before I open up my next single bevel knife.

I use Deba for removing flesh on whole chickens and it works good. I could use any other knife to do the job since there are no hard cuts, but since I do not filet much fish, I enjoy using it this way.

Haha funny dog cameo!

PM sent, Boondocker.