Who will win the world cup?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends who makes it through the "hard side" of the tournament.

France, Germany or Colombia are the contenders for me, Brazil is showing an aweful game so far. I think it will be either Colombia or Germany facing Arentina or the Netherlands - pherhaps Belgium - in the final.

Germany or Colombia will subsequently go on winning the final.

Please, not Germany, otherwise my colleagues will become unbearable for at least a month :scared4: :biggrin:

I think Germany is over rated, Belgium is very underrated too

A lot of the big favorites have been a little underwhelming lately. After seeing Belgium yesterday I can see them winning it; they have a great goalkeeper and man are they fast

yes it's goanna be Belgium for sure.

Belgium - I think they looked good against the US, but that's because it was quite - end-to-end stuff, and must have been exhausting. Basically, the US doesn't have the players and technique to play possession football, nor the organisation to stifle Belgium. They had to rely, instead, on a career performance by the keeper and hope they'd catch Belgium out with their running and long balls. They basically played and English game, and with lots of spirit. Belgium has the players, though, and if one of their over 30 (!) shots had gone in earlier in the match, it might have been a blow out. There were enough chances for several matches.

Nah, I can't see Belgium doing it, but there is no obvious frontrunner either at this point, and no one knows. Colombia I haven't seen, but they sound great. However, they've never won it (not even close) and though they're talented they don't have enough big, experienced players.

I'd say Holland has a good chance of beating Argentina, but now the report is that De Jong's out for the rest of the cup, and the Dutch defense looked quite exposed after he came off against Mexico. He was playing so well, but now imagine facing Messi in a potential semi-final.

Brazil seem about to break out into tears whenever possible; just too emotional and drained, and now Neymar's having fitness doubts.

Ruud Gullit's described Argentina as the worst team with the best players, and the darkhorse. Messi doesn't have enough support in the centre, though, and if he doesn't conjure something then, ...

Germany aren't quite convincing either, in addition to lacking some injured players; and teams can def score against them.

France can look good, but haven't played anyone really strong yet. Who knows.

Would be hard to place a bet on this one....

At this point, I have no clue. Before the tournament started, I thought if Argentina manages to form their good individual players into a team, they should be a favorite, but I have been underwhelmed by them in all their games. Should Germany beat France, they will meet Brasil with a whole country behind it or Columbia, and I don't think they would win either of those games with this coach. So, the team that really will be interesting to watch is the Netherlands, and I would not mind if they won. They always had very good teams, especially when considering the size of the country, and this year they have a coach with a concept and excellent players (and no players who spit at other people...). In any case, all four coming games are very interesting and I really look forward to watching them.

Stefan

At this point, I have no clue. Before the tournament started, I thought if Argentina manages to form their good individual players into a team, they should be a favorite, but I have been underwhelmed by them in all their games.

At Barcelona, Messi combines with Xavi/Iniesta. But in this Argentina he ends up alone in the centre of the attacking half and has to do a lot more, and usually ends up surrounded and passing longer to the flanks and striker ahead of him. He's not the danger-man like this, but to his credit he's still been the source of all their victories. There isn't enough movement and flexibility in the formation, though, for ARG to be pretty to watch.

the team that really will be interesting to watch is the Netherlands, and I would not mind if they won. They always had very good teams, especially when considering the size of the country, and this year they have a coach with a concept and excellent players (and no players who spit at other people...).

Nice for you to put traditional rivalries aside. Here are the guilty duo in happier times:

tumblr_m0545e04jh1rqub13o1_500.jpg

I'm still laughing about the spit comment, Stefan! I guess the Dutch deserve more that anybody to be world cup champions based on what they did in the past (excluding the spitting) and what they are doing now too.
I would say Germany and Argentina are the ones that have more number of individual talent in their teams, but who knows?
I would not mind if the Dutch were champions, but would love if Costa Rica did it.

I'm still laughing about the spit comment, Stefan! I guess the Dutch deserve more that anybody to be world cup champions based on what they did in the past (excluding the spitting) and what they are doing now too.

Yes, we was robbed - probably both in '74 and '78.

This is one of those games where people try to get a ball into a net right?

We (The Netherlands) are for football what New Zealand used to be for rugby untill 2011 really; the best country that never won the cup.

I surely hope they do win this year, Robben is in top form, so are a few others. We will miss De Jong and replacement Fer though, so lets see how the team copes with the surprise of the tournament so far (Costa Rica).

Erikz, I'd have mixed feelings about a win this time, though less so than last time. In 2010 it was just too cynical, V.Bommel and De Jong especially, and defensive. I was secretly happy to see Spain take it. You could have switched V. Marwijk for Mourinho and have seen the same thing.

This time less so, and they also seem more flexibly tactically. However, the days of the really attractive, flowing Dutch sides are probably over - since probably Euro 2000. Really wish and think NED should have won it in 1998.

Well, i can say that despite you have take us out in 2010, i was hoping you won it at that time instead of Spain. Nothing against the Spainards, but because of what you have done in the past world cups.

Well, i can say that despite you have take us out in 2010, i was hoping you won it at that time instead of Spain. Nothing against the Spainards, but because of what you have done in the past world cups.

Obrigado, Marcelo. But still I think it would have been an injustice if Spain didn't win last time. They had to win, for football. In the end you want to see the best, most exciting or attractive teams, win, and the past 6 years have been Spain's time. I'm not too happy when NED plays more not to lose than to win. They've got a better balance this time, but no idea if they can continue. Me, if they're not good enough I'm not happy to see other better teams progress.

Report today - a psychologist has been called in to sort out all the emotions with Brazil. Seems too much for Neymar, Cesar, Thiago and D. Luiz. What's happening? Makes me think of someone who's about to get married, goes through every feeling, and just doesn't know what to do. I don't think they can win it, unless amazingly lucky, like this.

I do agree with everything you said about the NED squad so far Asteger.

Newsflash on the German squad, besides Hummels there are seven players down with the flu. No news about what players are down and out...

I guess people in Brazil just put way too much importance in it. Since it is happening here they feel the weight of the world is on their shoulders. I was reading these last days Thiago Silva being critized because he asked to be the last one to do the penalty kick series against Chile as he wasn't feeling confident at that time. In my book, i would always choose a player that would come in truth and say something like that in order to help that group, but here in Brazil this crazy histeria of we must win the cup no matter what tend to be harsh on the guy. If he were that bad, he wouldn't be playing first for Milan and now for PSG. But, Thiago Silva aside, that is just example of why i think this players of today are so emotional: they think that because they are playing home, they must bring this one and this are making them weaker.

I guess people in Brazil just put way too much importance in it. Since it is happening here they feel the weight of the world is on their shoulders. I was reading these last days Thiago Silva being critized because he asked to be the last one to do the penalty kick series against Chile as he wasn't feeling confident at that time. In my book, i would always choose a player that would come in truth and say something like that in order to help that group, but here in Brazil this crazy histeria of we must win the cup no matter what tend to be harsh on the guy. If he were that bad, he wouldn't be playing first for Milan and now for PSG. But, Thiago Silva aside, that is just example of why i think this players of today are so emotional: they think that because they are playing home, they must bring this one and this are making them weaker.

I was just remembering 1998. Brazil went through on penalties and Holland, who hasn't had as good of a team since, and then went up against France in the final but their play was strangely subdued, and France of course won. Remember the incident where the Real Ronaldo fainted or something in the dressing room prior to the game? Till then, he'd probably been the best player in the tournment.

Anyone listening to "Men in Blazers" podcast? Very funny, sharp and fast commentary on the World Cup - in the best of the British tradition.

I am for Germany to win.

Today Germany and France play. Some of the 1940 jokes that are filling my FB feed are awesome.

1940 jokes from the Germans 44/45 jokes from the French?

Semifinals BRA/GER now up! 18 mins more to wait, I'm ready!

Quick goal, I hope the Germans keep this up!

Back