Quantcast
Thinking about getting my third and fourth J-knife, advice? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about getting my third and fourth J-knife, advice?

Quote Originally Posted by easy13 View Post
    Honesukis are great and all, use mine a lot, but not sure one is essential in a home kitchen. 150 Petty can deal with your one Chicken a week and boning out thighs wouldn't be a problem. I say definitely a 150 petty then how about a 240 suji, plenty of good uses for a 240 suji.
    What are some of your favourite tasks with a 240 suji?

I'll feel up a 150 petty and honesuki and see how they feel

ALSO - is your avatar the label from a jar of spicy red pepper sauce!??

Quote Originally Posted by cilucia View Post
    What are some of your favourite tasks with a 240 suji?

I'll feel up a 150 petty and honesuki and see how they feel

ALSO - is your avatar the label from a jar of spicy red pepper sauce!??
    Besides using suji to slice proteins it can be used to filet fish (though you dont cook much fish). I like to use sujihikis that are tall at the heel as my main knife in place of a gyuto to switch it up sometimes.

Yes, avatar is the angry lady from Lao Gan Ma Chili Crisp Sauce

Quote Originally Posted by easy13 View Post
    Honesukis are great and all, use mine a lot, but not sure one is essential in a home kitchen. 150 Petty can deal with your one Chicken a week and boning out thighs wouldn't be a problem. I say definitely a 150 petty then how about a 240 suji, plenty of good uses for a 240 suji.
    +1

As Jaques' example demonstrates just about any knife can be used for boning chicken. But a 240 suji is a go to knife for me. It is much better than a gyotu for cutting items in-hand (be careful there of course), and will do most of what a gyoto is typically used for.

Rick

Jump in the deep end. Grab a cleaver.

Dropped by Korin before dinner (posted pics here) and ended up getting a petty and honesuki despite so many recommendations that a honesuki is not "essential" to a home kitchen. Hahaha... Briefly thought about a cleaver again, but saw I was reminded of its huge size in the display case and aborted.

I also got some new shears in the mail from Amazon. Hopefully they are better than my current OXO ones.

Mari recommended the Misono over the other two honesuki's I asked to look at, so I went with her rec and also bought him a petty-friend. I ended up getting 130mm because 150mm felt a bit long to me. I'm not sure why I prefer shorter blade lengths.

nice! of the petties i've handled, the ux10 has the best profile