Slicing roast leg of lamb with a suji?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mangelwurzel

Reaction score
Hey folks, I've gone and ordered myself a custom carbon suji. It's my first custom knife :knife:

I'd mainly be looking to use it for slicing roasts and making sushi/sashimi. I plan on using it to slice roast legs of lamb like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG16WiQbtAY but without the sawing action...shame on you Heston!

Does anyone see a problem with doing that? I obviously wouldn't be trying to cut through the bone but the edge would be coming into contact with the bone. I just hope that wouldn't ruin or chip the edge.

i dont think that would be a good idea. just braise that lamb till it falls off the bone.

When I do a roast with bones, (leg of lamb, prime rib, etc) I'll ask butcher to bone it and tie it back together with the bones. Roast as usual and untie/remove bones prior to slicing. That's what your suji was made for. :hungry:

I think I'd leave the leg duty to something a bit heftier than a custom suji.

I'll put myself in the middle here and say using the suji is fine until you get near the bones. If you slice straight across you will have issues, but if you cut at an angle or parallel to the bone you can slice quite a bit before you need to consider switching to a different knife.

1st choice -- the daveb treatment.

2nd choice -- use the suji like WildBoar said. Just be careful, and it'll all be good. Never chipped a knife; red wine is served with the meat, not before it.

I debone / remove large chunks of meat before slicing a roast with a suji. It does a great job once the bones are removed.

Thanks for your views guys. I shall give the suggested techniques a go!

I do it like daveb's method describes. I can open up the meat and season inside and out and lets face it meat roasted on the bone is a beautiful thing.

Back