Quantcast
JNS Kato Workhorse
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JNS Kato Workhorse

JNS Kato Workhorse

I'm very interested in Kato knives and have been emailing Maksim to try to get a couple answers about his workhorse line, but haven't gotten a response so thought I'd try my luck here. Was looking for answers to the following:

1) How does the Yoshiaki Fujiwara line differ from regular Kato knives if at all?
    2) What is the cladding? Iron, softer carbon steel etc.
    3) Is the listed weight of 270 grams correct on the 240? That's approaching heavy deba weight and seems a bit high especially as the 210 is listed at 183 grams. Adding nearly 100 grams for an extra inch of knife is odd
    4) Is the steel white number 2?

If anyone knows the answer to any of these questions it would be much appreciated

I'll have a go, because I like my Katos.

I've seen other Kato in Japan, and they look pretty much the same but are apparently made with Blue #2. Actually, blue #2 is really popular in Japan and would be considered good. The JNS ones, though, do have a special steel - some kind of old stuff, I forget. It's harder and can get sharper, etc. Great stuff, and no not white #2.

Cladding - actually, I don't know, but it's quite hard. It's not like a Shig, for example, so you would be putting nice hazy kasumi patterns on it.

270g - yes, I believe it is. I think mine is there. On the heavy side for sure.

Awesome, thanks Asteger. Very helpful indeed!

IMO, if you look carefully, JNS workhorse and kikuryu are also generally a bit taller and has slightly different profile, especially towards the tip. My kikuryu 240 is 270g with handle.

I used Pitonboy's 270 Kato during a passaround, it scaled at 302g. You might be interested in the passaround thread at:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...ato-passaround
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Some pictures, JNS, japan-tool, tosho:

Just to clarify as I made a typo - I wrote:

'Cladding - actually, I don't know, but it's quite hard. It's not like a Shig, for example, so you would be putting nice hazy kasumi patterns on it.'

But I meant that the cladding is hard (which is one reason why the knife's been described as performing more like a honyaki) and so you would NOT be able to sand a pretty kasumi haze onto it.

I could definitely be mistaken, but didnt Mark have some Katos for sale in white steel a few monthes ago? Either way, FWIW the workhorse series that Maxim carries is the way to go if you get a Kato. Awesome Steel and grind atleast, but they're certainly for people who prefer heavy gyutos. The cladding is not too reactive either for soft cladding but who knows that could just be my imagination.

Interesting, and great color guys. I do prefer a bit more heft in my knives which is what drew me to the knives. If you guys were going to contrast these with a Shig (own a kasumi in 240), what would your thoughts be there?

Quote Originally Posted by ChipB View Post
    Interesting, and great color guys. I do prefer a bit more heft in my knives which is what drew me to the knives. If you guys were going to contrast these with a Shig (own a kasumi in 240), what would your thoughts be there?
    Kato would make a good contrast with a shig, or any other knife really lol. Theres nothing else out there that is quite like Kato, its pretty unique due to its weight, spine thickness and size.

+ Reply to Thread