Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: JNS Kato Workhorse

I just seen that post.

So i will try to explain politely .

When i start to read my emails in the morning i look them all quickly through first. And if i have 2 same emails in the inbox one with questions and another one with threatening text where it says if i don't answer right away he go and buy els where, i simply delete that emails. So simple is that. They was send same day as i can see

I am not a professional web store as it also says on my website. I am alone to answer all emails do all bookkeeping ordering everything researching testing packing. Do all paperwork for export import etc. etc.
    And i enjoying it very much ! But please understand sometimes it will take more then one day to answer your emails

Also as i am one man i do take things personal sometimes as all products i sell is only selected by me in japan where i meet the makers talk to them get good relationship with them then test a lot before i put them on the store. Thats why i have only 3 makers in the store ! I wait in many cases for knives 2 or 3 years !!! To get my knives finished like i want them.
    So when costumer can not wait one day to get answer i just don't take that serious, Sorry !

Now for my answers to your questions:

1) How does the Yoshiaki Fujiwara line differ from regular Kato knives if at all?
    Profile, Steel, FF, Heat-treat, Handle, Grind

2) What is the cladding? Iron, softer carbon steel etc.
    Soft iron

3) Is the listed weight of 270 grams correct on the 240? That's approaching heavy deba weight and seems a bit high especially as the 210 is listed at 183 grams. Adding nearly 100 grams for an extra inch of knife is odd
    Yes it is correct it is taler knife thats why wight a lot more

4) Is the steel white number 2?
    No

DELETED: I took too long to answer and my post is not relevant anymore.

Also i like to point out that many emails get in the spam folder. Or just get missed. Thats how it is
    But even so there is Soooooo many places to contact me and ask some question.
    Also i have huge Wiki where almost everything can be answered. Videos even video of Kato making that workhorse

And you will never waist my time to ask questions !!! I will love to answer them ! All i say dont be rude when you do it :P

Thank you Maksim. I have one question left - could there ever be a lighter version of Kato gyuto (like 'non workhorse'), or is the current design simply the way Kato forges his gyutos and does not make any thinner/lighter versions.

I did try all designs before we went for workhorse.
    All the good stuff about Kato is lost if you make it thiner and lighter
    He can do or do make them thinner and lighter. But i just dont like them that way thats why i will not have them

Fair enough

One question from me, in terms of performance how different is the Damascus from the clad? Should I get clad for next knife or worth it to save more and get Damascus.

Ps sorry but I forgot what's it's actually called k something or other. Not sure what's the difference between that and Damascus.

You can have a look at western handle version, Matus. Although it is not lighter per see, but it is slightly thinner at the spine as far as I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by rami_m View Post
    One question from me, in terms of performance how different is the Damascus from the clad? Should I get clad for next knife or worth it to save more and get Damascus.

Ps sorry but I forgot what's it's actually called k something or other. Not sure what's the difference between that and Damascus.
    The cladding is even harder then on Kasumi. Kikuryu actually quenched like honyaki blades with more clay on the spine.

But workhorse have all the good stuff as Kikuryu have I think it is more workmanship of Kikuryu and looks. Where workhorse is just workhorse

Thanks Maksim, give me a few month and I will come knocking.