Quantcast
JNS Kato Workhorse - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: JNS Kato Workhorse

Thanks Maksim. Sorry we couldn't connect earlier. You carry some fantastic knives and have provided a great intro to the world of natural stones and some of the better smiths in Japan

Hi, folks
    I use all the lines of Kato- i can admit, this is something which make you smile every time use grip it for cutting tasks.
    The 210 Dragon ( my Dragon at least) is the lightest version of his all Gyutos. My favorite as well
    Damascus is much havier, a very sturdy knife. Kikuryu is , of course, the samurai sword. Heavy, sturdy, aggresive, great.
    Comparing Shigs and Kato- Kato is better in any sence. IMO, of course. I say it having them all ( almost . Inkl all the Yanagis ( 210/240/270/300), in Kasumi and Kitaeji. I like Kato just more. Even in Petty- the cut is different.. Kuro is better on Shigs, but Kato cuts better! I mean their Kuroushi lines. I will even sell some of my Shigs .
    And the lines Maksim sells are by far not the lines you my find- i saw Kato in Shirogami 2- here he uses a different steel, the knives are harder, better done, you feel a real weapon in the hand while cutting.. There are my 2 cents

I am so confused now. I love the single shig I got. Your words lead me to want to try a Kato but which one to get?

Quote Originally Posted by rami_m View Post
    I am so confused now. I love the single shig I got. Your words lead me to want to try a Kato but which one to get?
    Its just one persons opinion. I personally would take a Shig Kasumi over any of the Kato lines.

If you can find one get a kikuryu or a new workhorse

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    Its just one persons opinion. I personally would take a Shig Kasumi over any of the Kato lines.
    Yeah, personal preference plays a big part, I have owned Shig Kasumi & Kitaeji, and Kato workhorse & Kikuryu, Wa & Yo from both makers. I know what i like, but I wouldn't say someone else was wrong for having a varying opinion. If there was one knife which was the best we'd all own it?
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Very true. But there are things every one agrees on like the Richmond knives or shuns. I don't need to own said knives but if someone I respect have an opinion I better listen. After all they are more experienced.

Very true. But there are things every one agrees on like the Richmond knives or shuns. I don't need to own said knives but if someone I respect have an opinion I better listen. After all they are more experienced.
    FWIW The japanese made As laser is a decent knife , but keep in mind everybody has different preferences you should take people's advice with a grain of salt

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    Yeah, personal preference plays a big part, I have owned Shig Kasumi & Kitaeji, and Kato workhorse & Kikuryu, Wa & Yo from both makers. I know what i like, but I wouldn't say someone else was wrong for having a varying opinion. If there was one knife which was the best we'd all own it?
    FWIW Katos are definitely worth checking out. Especially the workhorse line. My only point is that we can come to different conclusions about things sometimes.

any of the Japanese made ones that are re-branded are pretty good AFAIK, the L&G's are the ones you should stay away from IMHO