Quantcast
JNS Kato Workhorse - Page 10
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: JNS Kato Workhorse

I did the onion julienne/wipe patina when I first got my Shig last fall. Hacked up about 10 quarts, and the patina set in perfectly. No discoloration/staining after the fact. Nice blue patina. Asked Jon to do a natural stone, Kasumi finish over the winter, and the patina set in even faster with the same technique, and brighter blues.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

I clean the patina of my knives every night after service.When I do my prep i will leave highly reactive stuff like onions/shallots for last.By the time I get there I have a nice patina already and avoid brown onions etc. .,works with all the knives I have used so far even highly reactive ones such as shigs. I also have a couple of stainless I can use just in case.

This is my Shig, my main knife for the last month, I haven't forced any patina or taken any deliberate steps to minimise patina, and I don't baby it, just wipe regularly, no brown no reactivity, the heiji Swedish carbon Gyuto i had was pretty reactive though and it took a brown patina.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    This is my Shig, my main knife for the last month, I haven't forced any patina or taken any deliberate steps to minimise patina, and I don't baby it, just wipe regularly, no brown no reactivity, the heiji Swedish carbon Gyuto i had was pretty reactive though and it took a brown patina.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Von B. have you noticed any difference in reactivity between the kasumi and kitaeji Shigs?

My kasumi Shig gyuto was reactive for a while but after a large batch of onions, not just cutting but rubbing the waste ends on the blade as well, it just lost its reactivity altogether. Worked well for me!

I havent got a brown patina with my shig or my heiji to be honest .The way your shig looks is pretty much the way all my carbons look after service.Then I clean them with baking soda.Love the cleaning my knives ritual at the end of service means I have survived another day, dont have to deal with any work related crap for the next 12hours and its time for cold beer

Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    That's an amazing patina. For the life of me, outside of more esoteric protein forcing, can't get anything other than a champagne color out of the Shig naturally. This reminds me a someone who has been building a natural patina on his Mizuno Hontanren naturally, though he is achieving some seriously striking electric blue. That said, he is working a chicken station on the line, so building a base with fresh protein.

If patina is built up, will it still get rust?

Quote Originally Posted by glestain View Post
    If patina is built up, will it still get rust?
    My experience with Kato workhorse was that it wasn't as reactive as my other carbon knives , if it has patina , if you walk away after cutting something you have some time before you need to grab scotch brite, with my shig and kochi you have seconds. In short yes it will rust , not as fast I have seen from watanabe, kochi or shig

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

Since this topic has not been discussed to death IMO, let me try

I would like to ask whether there is a difference in performance between western and WA Kato. I am asking because there is obviously difference in the thickness of these two versions.

thanks