Quantcast
JNS Kato Workhorse - Page 8
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: JNS Kato Workhorse

@matus
    Concerning the weight of the kato workhorse i personally adapted really quickly to the weight it felt awkward maybe for two or three days and has been an absolute joy to use since.There is no Gyuto i prefer using for a prep intense day.I also dont think the difference between a 250g and a270g would be that different.Before the Kato i was mainly using a heiji 240mm which is about 210g.I also have shig 240mm which weighs about the same as the heiji and a kagekiyo which is super light(170g i think).I love all of them for different reason but If i had to choose to keep only one,it would definitely be the kato.If you want to test it pm me seeing your in the germany i could send it over to you and you can give it a spin for a week or two.

matt79, that is very generous from you. You will soon have a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post
    There has been some heated discussion going on here, but it seems like things got sorted out, so let me add one question on the Kato workhorse topic.

Whether WA or western - it seems that all 240 Kato gyutos weight some 270g. What I would like to ask is - how do you guys find the weight? My current gyuto is ca 250g (it went back to be thinned so it will probably loose a bit of weight) and find that definitely on the heavy side. I would actually love to try Kato one day, but fear the weight would be too much ...
    Hey Matus, non-workhorse Kato are a bit lighter. My 210 in W#2 is about 200 grams or so and the 240 I have coming is around 225 grams. Not light by any stretch. Something I noticed which is a bit quirky, the 210 in W#2 is actually a shade heavier than the 210 Workhorse, but the 240 in W#2 is a good bit lighter. Makes me want to try the workhorse side by side with the W#2 blades even more.

I had the same reservation about weight as you which is one of the main reasons I went with the W#2 versions. Hoping I can mess around with a workhorse in 240mm sooner rather than later. Maybe I can swing by Sachem's joint once the 240 gets back from a re-handle to compare the two versions and report back

ChipB - did you get your Kato knives from Maksim or elsewhere?

Got them elsewhere. Tosho Knife Arts carries the W#2 as does the store that shall not be named.

Matus, one thing worth noting, those retailers also are about 25% more expensive than JNS (though with VAT, as you are in the EU, it might even out a bit). That's another thing that made the decision very hard for me. That's quite a premium to pay for familiarity.

Not sure if any of you guys have checked out Masakage's Kujira line, but they've piqued my interest as well. I love the edge profile on Masakage and find them to be pretty close to Kato in that regard (at least the edge profile on my Shimo was very similar). The Kujira is definitely a heavier knife as well. Think the 240 clocks in around 220 grams. Can't seem to find anyone who has a lot of experience with this line though.

Sponsors
    hmm i think by now with soooo many of my blogs, videos, info on website, i have explained enough but apparently not :P

Kato workhorse is just high end Kato knife. Upgraded FF, upgraded steel (more expensive steel was used), more handmade process and just more care been taken when making it. Thats about it
    small profile changes was made but that was due to the sizes of knives etc
    It is like buying KU knife or Kasumi knife etc etc.

Don't see really why so many confusion

Quote Originally Posted by maxim View Post
    hmm i think by now with soooo many of my blogs, videos, info on website, i have explained enough but apparently not :P

Kato workhorse is just high end Kato knife. Upgraded FF, upgraded steel (more expensive steel was used), more handmade process and just more care been taken when making it. Thats about it
    small profile changes was made but that was due to the sizes of knives etc
    It is like buying KU knife or Kasumi knife etc etc.

Don't see really why so many confusion
    Thanks Maksim and your videos are great! I think the confusion just gets introduced when looking at the weight on the 240 and 270 vs. the lighter versions of his standard knives. Your answers before were very helpful. I'd also add, that it seems as though your Workhorse line is the most widely used (at least on this side of The Pond) so it is very difficult to find an unbiased impressions of the Workhorse vs. a standard W#2 from a customer.

Based upon what you have said, it sounds like the same sort of distinction that is drawn between the various Teruyasu Fujiwara lines. But TF knives are more widely distributed across all of his lines which makes it much easier to get a sense for what delineates them.

Again, thanks for the response, and sorry for the tone I set earlier on in the post.

No confusion at all, Maksim. I am just trying to find a last excuse NOT to buy a workhorse Kato from you It is even worse that you seem to have some available most of the time

+ Reply to Thread