Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: JNS Kato Workhorse

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1414267212.307758.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	7.7 KB 
ID:	25187Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1414267231.419538.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	25188
    My new project in progressClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1414267298.065519.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	25189Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1414267345.791757.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	25190
    Kato Dragon
    The first photo: the difference between Katos: Kikuryu, Dragon, Suji
    Two last were the same ( polished)- now I change it into deep gray Kasumi with Uchigumori fingerstones
    Will keep on polishing. But the change is already visible 😜😜

Having Kato Dragon on loan right now - I am just wondering that once this knife will need thinning (sooner than later I guess given that the blade is not particularly thin behind the edge) - how high up the blade will one have to go - will not the dragon engraving be also affected by the thinning?

@Matt: Please do not worry, I do not intend to learn thinning on your Kato

JNS Kato Workhorse

Guys, i tried out a rare Kato Yanagi 330 mm...... Till that moment i was pretty sure Shigefusa is better in single bevel. He is a King. But: when i saw that beauty, looking almost like a sword, i though: OMG!!!
    Slicing fish or meat was a " brutal" pleasure. Not cutting- but SEPARATION. Scaring.... Buhhhh
    Since that time I can't stop thinking of it...
    I have a 240 Kato Yanagy, and a bunch of Shigefusa Yanagi from 210 to 300, ink Kitaeji..
    But this one.........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1415999422.052920.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	25459
    This is that, BTW

LOL...Andrey, you have a talent of making others, especially me, being intrigued by Katos.
    I have a few shig yanagis and wanted to know about a kato yanagi.
    Now, I am sure I will have to get a kato yanagi. ^^

Well my first Kato (long overdue) is headed my way. I am looking forward to the Workhorse--240 gyuto.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    LOL...Andrey, you have a talent of making others, especially me, being intrigued by Katos.
    I have a few shig yanagis and wanted to know about a kato yanagi.
    Now, I am sure I will have to get a kato yanagi. ^^
    😜😜😜👍👍
    The main difference in Yanagibas between them is the way you cut/feel.
    Shigefusa is very sofisticated, i would say- a golden standard. It makes the job you want him to make, it means it can and does follow your hand.it cuts there , where you want to cut.
    Kato make the other job- you have the feeling, the the knife allows you to hold it, sliding through the food with a sense of separation, not cutting it. Much more aggresive. Shigefusa is a perfect tool, Kato is a beast. Not everyone can really like it- Kato needs, like a real hot mighty horse , a real man , knowing what to do with.
    Kato will not forgive nothing- false angles, wrong cuts- it can chips, ( Shigefusa as well, btw). But if you know to ride........
    O M G!!!!!!!
    You get this crazy fun of using it, it cries out to be used, it needs respect, same respect, as Kato-san gave to the . Great tools, especially in Maksim's agreed with Kato-san version. Wild mustangs.
    I've got a rare version of Shigefusa Honesuki- WOW- this is the knife which IMHO beats Kato in same version( though the Kato is bigger and has 2 bevels). Just to inform you- I'm not the crazy fan, i know the stuff, that's all. F.ex i took Deba from Shigefusa- and it's great, very fine, very sharp, really classic.
    Having tried out so many knives, having over 50 high- end knives in my collection ( to use, btw), i can separate " heaven from hell", i hope 😎. I just see that these 2 greatest Masters make really enjoyable stuff... Which differs from the rest. Again, in my honest opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Well my first Kato (long overdue) is headed my way. I am looking forward to the Workhorse--240 gyuto.
    240 - is a really nice size for Gyuto from Kato. All his best knives come in this size. Damascus, Kikuryu, Dragon... I have them all, they are fantastic knives. Really different from the other stuff. Quite heavy, but cut like a real Katana. Very aggresive, but without visible aggression- the only right picture i get is the Katana movement- to chance to stop it , no recall. It goes through, that's all. All Kato's knives need and deserve real good care, again like a good sword. Then they serve endless. Kato has a Katana maker's license, that's why his knives are so different. I think so. He makes them as swords, he quenches them as swords, he cools them with same sword movement. That's the style- that's the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey V View Post
    😜😜😜👍👍
    The main difference in Yanagibas between them is the way you cut/feel.
    Shigefusa is very sofisticated, i would say- a golden standard. It makes the job you want him to make, it means it can and does follow your hand.it cuts there , where you want to cut.
    Kato make the other job- you have the feeling, the the knife allows you to hold it, sliding through the food with a sense of separation, not cutting it. Much more aggresive. Shigefusa is a perfect tool, Kato is a beast. Not everyone can really like it- Kato needs, like a real hot mighty horse , a real man , knowing what to do with.
    Kato will not forgive nothing- false angles, wrong cuts- it can chips, ( Shigefusa as well, btw). But if you know to ride........
    O M G!!!!!!!
    You get this crazy fun of using it, it cries out to be used, it needs respect, same respect, as Kato-san gave to the . Great tools, especially in Maksim's agreed with Kato-san version. Wild mustangs.
    I've got a rare version of Shigefusa Honesuki- WOW- this is the knife which IMHO beats Kato in same version( though the Kato is bigger and has 2 bevels). Just to inform you- I'm not the crazy fan, i know the stuff, that's all. F.ex i took Deba from Shigefusa- and it's great, very fine, very sharp, really classic.
    Having tried out so many knives, having over 50 high- end knives in my collection ( to use, btw), i can separate " heaven from hell", i hope 😎. I just see that these 2 greatest Masters make really enjoyable stuff... Which differs from the rest. Again, in my honest opinion...
    Thanks a lot again for your elaborate explanation.
    A shige's edge ootb is rather delicate. So, I tune it for my taste. Then it becomes beastly robust yet light and nimble. This is good and bad; For me I hope it has a little more weight but it is just me. I can see, for a professional, it's just perfect.
    I really look forward to Katos, hopely, in the near future.
    I'd like to feel the "separation" ^^