Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take you to sharpen a knife?

How long does it take you to sharpen a knife?

I know, I know, it all depends. For the sake of an example let's say it is an average 8" chef's knife,
    straight, nothing tragic, just dull. No thinning, nothing fancy. Just put it back to good working condition,
    using two stones.

My procedure (please, bear in mind, I'm a total beginner, and taking my time in order to practice)
    is as follows: 5 min (each side) on medium (1000), 3 min with light
    pressure on medium, 1 min lightest pressure on medium, 3 min light on fine, 1 min lightest
    on fine, then maybe 30 sec stropping/deburring, and another 30 sec stropping on a newspaper.

I generally spend five to ten minutes total but I don't strop. To me, stropping is almost a more of a technique of super light pressure on a very fine stone and not necessarily a strop - just me. Followed by cork or similar. If you are spending a total of ten minutes on 1000, maybe you should start with 500, though you might just get faster with your routine as you get better. I often can start with a fast cutting 2000, then 4000 like Jon's synthetics, following by light stropping on a Kityama and cork. My only concern is that you may be going with the amount of time rather than feedback, like raising a burr. Most of my knives are white steel which will go very quickly. If you are doing ss it is a different story.
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    My only concern is that you may be going with the amount of time rather than feedback, like raising a burr. Most of my knives are white steel which will go very quickly. If you are doing ss it is a different story.
    This is a very, very valid point. I know it is probably too early for me even to start working on the routine. Sometimes - most of the time - I would check the edge/burr every several passes or so and won't mind the clock at all.
    Just looking for a way to get more organized. And, yes, most of my knives are ss.

For totally dull cheap knife at that length, within 1 hour or more, because I have to grind my own custom primary & secondary bevel + strop and paper cutting tests.

Don't care about time when you're just learning, when I was just learning, it took me 3 hours and still got me nowhere, LOL. Rather get a good understanding on how to feel the burr and how to remove them.

Somewhere between 3 minutes and 2 and a half hours.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

^ +1, i thin a bit and refinished pretty much every other time. without, 3 minutes max, with, 15+ it all depends. i had recently thinned everything, and my whole kit needed a quick sharpening... 3 chefs, petty, slicer, paring, boning, 2 filet took me about 20 minutes, but thats about as fast as i get. daves lineup that time around.

so youre asking about touch ups?
    stainless: 15 min minumum
    carbon: 5 min

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Somewhere between 3 minutes and 2 and a half hours.
    It seems very unlikely to me that some steels are 50 (2.5hrs = 150 min; 150/3 = 50) times
    more abrasion resistant than the others, so I'm sorry if my question sounded inconsiderate or
    too intrusive. The problem with beginners is that we don't even know what to ask.
    There should be a "sandbox" subforum for that.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    so youre asking about touch ups?
    stainless: 15 min minumum
    carbon: 5 min
    Now I know what they are called.
    Thank you. I was recently asking about what knives would be good for a beginner sharpener to practice,
    and although many people said stainless is more difficult, it was never said how much more difficult.

Stainless steel is not difficult if you use Silicon Carbide or Diamond plate.