Thread: Kappo omakase @ Cagen in NYC - pics!

Smile Kappo omakase @ Cagen in NYC - pics!

Had a very lovely dinner tonight at Cagen (http://www.yelp.com/biz/cagen-japan-...ant-new-york-2). I would definitely like to come back (if it weren't for the unlimited number of places to try in the city...) Thought I would share the pics here (hope this is the right subforum!)

Sorry for the shoddy descriptions. I don't have a great memory; too busy eating with my eyes while the server is talking...

DH's Sake flight. He got a carafe of another sake later too, but it wasn't picture-worthy.

Amuse bouche - sweet corn, daikon, gazpacho, yuzu

1st course - fried ham (reminded us of schnitzel!), ceviche-esque thing with a super tasty, marinated tomato, something else yummy (can't remember what it was), and the little parcel was goat cheese & white chocolate & wasabi about the size of a hazelnut (tastes about as it sounds)

2nd course - sashimi with two dipping sauces. The asian "chimichurri" was fantastic! I want it with everything!!

3rd course - soba (plain, topped with yuzu, topped with shichimi - I think), plus soba-yu (with green onion, wasabi, and toasted soba grain)

4th course - fried and grilled fish (the meat was grilled, the rest was deep fried). With a cilantro dipping sauce. Some cauliflower and burdock

5th course - deep fried soft shell crab, salad with apple and red onions, a yuzu based vinaigrette (I think). I love soft shell crab so much, I was so happy to get this in my tummy.

6th course - It's nigiri time!

fatty tuna

seared bluefin tuna

Hokkaido uni (I think I prefer Santa Barbara / San Diego uni)

tuna handroll

7th course - dessert: lemon sorbet with fresh mango, yuzu oil (??) and a dot of wasabi

Knife spotting @ Cagen!

Looks like red bone Nenox knives

Thanks for looking

Wow spread me on toast 'cause I'm so jelly. great pics!

Beautiful pictures! Look delicious too. I have to make my way over to Cagen one of these days.

Thanks for stopping by last week! It was great seeing you.

STUNNING!!

was your credit card sizziling?

how do you stop omakase? or do you? you just lean back and rub the belly?

i've only done it a few times and the guy called it.

worked at kajitsu in midtown, that's the old kajitsu ev space, pretty awesome. hope you had a great meal.
    thanks for posting. used to live a block away on 10th and 1st, kyo ya is awesome too, Sono-san is the man!

Quote Originally Posted by DDPslice View Post
    Wow spread me on toast 'cause I'm so jelly. great pics!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Korin_Mari View Post
    Beautiful pictures! Look delicious too. I have to make my way over to Cagen one of these days.

Thanks for stopping by last week! It was great seeing you.
    Hope you try it! Thanks for your help again; I used the honesuki twice already (once on raw chicken to debone, and a couple days later to slice some of the cooked chicken I had deboned) and it was a very pleasurable experience, XD!

Quote Originally Posted by boomchakabowwow View Post
    STUNNING!!

was your credit card sizziling?

how do you stop omakase? or do you? you just lean back and rub the belly?

i've only done it a few times and the guy called it.
    Haha, not too bad. Under $360 including tip for the two of us, and I think DH had quite a bit of sake for 1 person! This omakase was defined as 7 course, and you could ask for more at the end if you were still hungry. I think usually they have a set number of courses in omakase (At least the ones I've been to!)

Quote Originally Posted by TheDispossessed View Post
    worked at kajitsu in midtown, that's the old kajitsu ev space, pretty awesome. hope you had a great meal.
    thanks for posting. used to live a block away on 10th and 1st, kyo ya is awesome too, Sono-san is the man!
    Oh, cool! We're going to have a summer of omakase, so we plan to try a few more places on DH's "to eat" list