Kappo omakase @ Cagen in NYC - pics!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cilucia

Reaction score
Had a very lovely dinner tonight at Cagen (http://www.yelp.com/biz/cagen-japan-restaurant-new-york-2). I would definitely like to come back (if it weren't for the unlimited number of places to try in the city...) Thought I would share the pics here (hope this is the right subforum!)

Sorry for the shoddy descriptions. I don't have a great memory; too busy eating with my eyes while the server is talking...

DH's Sake flight. He got a carafe of another sake later too, but it wasn't picture-worthy.
DSCF9722.jpg

Amuse bouche - sweet corn, daikon, gazpacho, yuzu
DSCF9724.jpg

1st course - fried ham (reminded us of schnitzel!), ceviche-esque thing with a super tasty, marinated tomato, something else yummy (can't remember what it was), and the little parcel was goat cheese & white chocolate & wasabi about the size of a hazelnut (tastes about as it sounds)
DSCF9729.jpg

2nd course - sashimi with two dipping sauces. The asian "chimichurri" was fantastic! I want it with everything!!
DSCF9731.jpg

DSCF9732.jpg

3rd course - soba (plain, topped with yuzu, topped with shichimi - I think), plus soba-yu (with green onion, wasabi, and toasted soba grain)
DSCF9733.jpg

DSCF9734.jpg

4th course - fried and grilled fish (the meat was grilled, the rest was deep fried). With a cilantro dipping sauce. Some cauliflower and burdock
DSCF9735.jpg

5th course - deep fried soft shell crab, salad with apple and red onions, a yuzu based vinaigrette (I think). I love soft shell crab so much, I was so happy to get this in my tummy.
DSCF9741.jpg

6th course - It's nigiri time!
DSCF9742.jpg

fatty tuna
DSCF9743.jpg

seared bluefin tuna
DSCF9745.jpg

Hokkaido uni (I think I prefer Santa Barbara / San Diego uni)
DSCF9746.jpg

tuna handroll
DSCF9748.jpg

7th course - dessert: lemon sorbet with fresh mango, yuzu oil (??) and a dot of wasabi
DSCF9750.jpg

Knife spotting @ Cagen!

DSCF9725.JPG

Looks like red bone Nenox knives

DSCF9726.JPG

Thanks for looking :)

Wow spread me on toast 'cause I'm so jelly. great pics!

Beautiful pictures! Look delicious too. I have to make my way over to Cagen one of these days. :)

Thanks for stopping by last week! It was great seeing you.

STUNNING!!

was your credit card sizziling? :D

how do you stop omakase? or do you? you just lean back and rub the belly?

i've only done it a few times and the guy called it.

worked at kajitsu in midtown, that's the old kajitsu ev space, pretty awesome. hope you had a great meal.
thanks for posting. used to live a block away on 10th and 1st, kyo ya is awesome too, Sono-san is the man!

Wow spread me on toast 'cause I'm so jelly. great pics!
Thanks!

Beautiful pictures! Look delicious too. I have to make my way over to Cagen one of these days. :)

Thanks for stopping by last week! It was great seeing you.
Hope you try it! Thanks for your help again; I used the honesuki twice already (once on raw chicken to debone, and a couple days later to slice some of the cooked chicken I had deboned) and it was a very pleasurable experience, XD!

STUNNING!!

was your credit card sizziling? :D

how do you stop omakase? or do you? you just lean back and rub the belly?

i've only done it a few times and the guy called it.
Haha, not too bad. Under $360 including tip for the two of us, and I think DH had quite a bit of sake for 1 person! This omakase was defined as 7 course, and you could ask for more at the end if you were still hungry. I think usually they have a set number of courses in omakase (At least the ones I've been to!) :)

worked at kajitsu in midtown, that's the old kajitsu ev space, pretty awesome. hope you had a great meal.
thanks for posting. used to live a block away on 10th and 1st, kyo ya is awesome too, Sono-san is the man!
Oh, cool! :) We're going to have a summer of omakase, so we plan to try a few more places on DH's "to eat" list :D

Back