Decent stainless

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rami_m

Reaction score
Well, a few days ago a couple of friends came for dinner and were suitably impressed with the small knife collection I have. Now I would like to get them a nice house warming gift for their new place ( under 100 $). And can only come up with the fujiwara. Are there any alternatives? They have small kids so I think a saya is a good idea. I will be taking care of sharpening.

Ps. If someone have a nice stainless I would be happy to take it off you.

I've found Tanaka has a better profile/grind and cuts better, but Fujiwara has better F&F

Interesting however I am not sure I am skilled enough to fix the f&f issues. And it's a gift. Leaning towards the Tojiro atm. I would need something can is a bit on the durable side.

Out of the three mentioned I've only used the Tojiro, but I think all of them would be fairly durable.

I also think all three would make great gifts to someone.

I've given a few Tojiro's away to cooks and they all have been happy with them. I think they really shine after being thinned a bit but that's probably true for all these knives. They can take a beating though.

They come in an attractive box with a little plastic sheath too. The handles can be a little bulky on the gyutos but I think they're a great bang for your buck.

Kagayaki VG-1 is a nice option as a gift, markedly better fit and finish.

Kanetsugu ProM. It comes with a saya and very nimble and reasonably sharp OOTB.

Back