Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Trending Larger or Smaller?

My oldest knife back from my catering days was a 10in Victorinox chef knife. Since I've learned to sharpen I re-discovered it and still is the first one i'm carrying around without fear of it being damaged. I find 250 is the optimal lenght for a chef knife, large enough for practically any task and still quite nimble.

First Japanese blade was a 200 gyuto and since than i'm trending more to the bigger ones. Gyutos/chef knives wise I now have my 200, a 240, a 247 and two 250. I often cook for a lot of people and I find a 270 would be just perfect for let's stay shredding a whole cabbage. i do have a decent size end grain board, but my next purchase will probably be a even larger one (again shredding that cabbage demands space).

Because I feel I would use it a lot (my sujis see a lot of action), I will be looking for a nice 270 gyuto next. And to complete the circle and for smaller jobs, maybe the 180 takamura R2 discussed here as it looks like a hell of a small laser.

270 Watanabe Gyuto when there is room. An old CCk 1102 when it's tight.
    Doing a crate of onions with anything smaller or lighter is just too much bloody work!

Long live Carbon!!

Holding a heavy 270mm.

Geeze thats a long pinch grip. Or a big hand maybe its just the camera angle

Hardly a big hand with a span of 8 5/8"...

holding a light 135:

OK I don't really hold it like that.

For prep, at least 10" blade, makes the work a lot faster. For service, 6" slicing victorinox and the same 10" tramontina if any salicing needed. And I would really love to have an 270mm blade, I would use it for everything.

JJ