Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trending Larger or Smaller?

I bought 240 as my first gyuto. Then added 210 gyuto. Later came two 180 different gyutos. Seems like 165-180 is just the perfect length for me. Almost never I feel the urge to reach for anything longer.

Just a home cook.

I've gone up to a 300mm gyuto and back down to a 180mm santoku. It's been fun trying different types of knifes and sizes, seeing which one works best for a specific task.

Jay
    I'm a over-sized, under-educated, two onions a month, cutting fool.

Quote Originally Posted by CoqaVin View Post
    XooMG would you consider the Takamura a laser?
    If we're going to use terms like that, then yes. The only other knife I have that really plays the same game is my Sakai Yusuke extra-thin, and that (the Yusuke) might be a tiny bit thinner by the tip, a bit more whippy/flexible, and worse with regard to sticking. The Carter isn't too far off, but is a bit thicker than expected since his site reported 1.2mm around the stamp.

Here's the Yusuke extra-thin and Takamura:

"Old School"..... 270mm Singatirin, Honyaki gyuto. I must say that I own way more 210mm's than any other knife. Still like the longer blade though, must be just because I'm OLD & DUMB!

240s for heavy prep and on certain blades where the size shines - Kato, Kono Fujiyama, etc... 210s on the line, finer work, home use. Like to have a couple of 180s around for off site work, travel & line sometimes.

I love 240s but if I was a home cook I seriously wouldent mind something light and delicate. Pro kitchen completely different though large knifes are a must for me my days are long enough and large knives make me quicker and more efficient which in turn makes my day easier and less monotonous. Love my 240s and 270s. Long and flat is how I like them think masamoto ks, mario etc.

For the guys using a 180: do you use a gyuto or a petty? I ask since 180 gyuto's are not that widespread.

Quote Originally Posted by mark76 View Post
    For the guys using a 180: do you use a gyuto or a petty? I ask since 180 gyuto's are not that widespread.
    Guytos for me. I believe 180mm Santoku would work just as well

Lately my 185 Shig seems to be the go-to even though I have a large cutting board and a decent size kitchen. I have larger knives that I use for fun when I feel like it, up to 250, but as a home cook if I'm only cooking for 2 then there's not a big need for me to use the larger knives I find. For larger dinners I do tend to go for the larger knives. Some day I'll try a 270 just to get a feel for it though!

Quote Originally Posted by mark76 View Post
    Gyuto for me too. Well, 185 for me.

-Steve

When I use a 180, it's a wa-petty. Gengetsu stainless clad white #2.