Quantcast
Yanagi is not 100% straight, ok? - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yanagi is not 100% straight, ok?

The reason why this happens is because of a phenomenon called age hardening. Carbon will bend and warp after being forged due to the nature of the metal. Forgers resolved this problem by adding a thin strip of carbon to a thick piece of steel. Even if a knife is purchased in good straightened condition, both metals will naturally want to bend in opposite directions over time. There are knives that were poorly made and cannot be straighten well, and there are knives that can be straightened and used without a problem. However, it is pretty impossible for a knife to be completely straight and stay straight forever. All yanagi knives need to be straighten out by a professional every now and then. Some places offer this service for free, so you could try asking whoever you purchased from. Honyaki knives are MUCH harder (and scarier) to fix, so make sure whoever you ask to fix can do it well.

Anecdotes like this are the reason I'm convinced that who you buy a knife from is as important as which knife you buy.

Hope things get sorted out to your satisfaction.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Quote Originally Posted by Korin_Mari View Post
    The reason why this happens is because of a phenomenon called age hardening. Carbon will bend and warp after being forged due to the nature of the metal. Forgers resolved this problem by adding a thin strip of carbon to a thick piece of steel. Even if a knife is purchased in good straightened condition, both metals will naturally want to bend in opposite directions over time. There are knives that were poorly made and cannot be straighten well, and there are knives that can be straightened and used without a problem. However, it is pretty impossible for a knife to be completely straight and stay straight forever. All yanagi knives need to be straighten out by a professional every now and then. Some places offer this service for free, so you could try asking whoever you purchased from. Honyaki knives are MUCH harder (and scarier) to fix, so make sure whoever you ask to fix can do it well.
    Anything you can do to prevent that or is it something that is beyond your control?

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    who you buy a knife from is as important as which knife you buy.
    +1

I think this is almost always lost in the maelstrom of steel, maker and flavour-of-the-month hype.

Thanks all for pitching in. So, from what I gather this type of "wrapping" is somewhat normal after certain period time. However this is a brand new knife so I am kinda disappointed to be honest. And paying more money to straighten is right off the bat does not seem right.

Anecdotes like this are the reason I'm convinced that who you buy a knife from is as important as which knife you buy.

Hope things get sorted out to your satisfaction.
    I totally agree with you, but AFIK no1 sells Watanabe in America/Europe except himself.

just a thought to verify the grinding on the hollow side. If it is grounded evenly. when sharpened flat, only the top of spine and the edge shld be shining. Wld be great if you would post such a picture

I am curious as to this aspect as if the grind on this side is not even, you will have wider flat areas near the spine area.. and some areas

IF it is indeed a grinding issue any respectable maker wld take it back and resolve with the reseller if applicable

So i think.

look fwd to your pics

caveat.. I am no expert but have sharpened a few yanagis and debas to notice this uneven grind on the ura side.. which is more common on the kasumi grade as opposed to honkasumi adn definitely not on a honyaki as afterall, they are supposed to be made by only the master craftsman.

rgds d

Quote Originally Posted by dream816 View Post
    Anything you can do to prevent that or is it something that is beyond your control?
    It is beyond your control. Warping happens naturally and can also happen while sharpening too. But getting it straightened maybe once every year or two is enough, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Zitangy, I will post some pics later today when I get home

Korin_Mari, So you would keep it and straitened even though it's a brand new product?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruso View Post
    Zitangy, I will post some pics later today when I get home

Korin_Mari, So you would keep it and straitened even though it's a brand new product?
    In this case since you just purchased it, you should ask them to replace it with a better and straighter one. I just wanted to explain why this happens and how all traditional Japanese knives bend even if it was once straight. (I hope that makes sense.)

Thanks Korin!

Pics of the back side of the blade: