Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Yanagi is not 100% straight, ok?

Since Mari is helping out, I would note that I did ask for a replacement on a yanagi from Mari and this was a trouble free issue - just to reinforce the importance of going to reputable sellers whenever possible.

My impression, and I could be wrong, is that kasumi yanigibas work a bit like old thermostats with the two materials reacting to temperature changes by expanding at different rates, therefore creating a curve. I have heard this as an explanation as to why either suminigashi (plywood) or a single material (honyaki) will be more stable. Maybe...
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

I still don't understand why Ruso's knife is warped, now ground like that.

I have 10 slicers at home and only two Ikkanshi tadatsuna honyakies ( one made like 15 years ago and the other made 3 years ago) that I have show very similar issue. As both knives were made at different times show pretty much the same characteristics of shape, bevel ground, and etc, I have always thought the maker ground the knife like that and it is the maker's characteristics.
    When I first got the knives, I did not see any issue on the shape of ura and have sharpened them repeatedly so far but have not observed any difference on the shape of ura over time either compared to other yanagis that do not have the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruso View Post
    Thanks Korin!

Pics of the back side of the blade:

tks for the pics.. a very even ura.. no high spots and so there goes my theory.

It there is a warp.. there will be a portion that will not make contact with the stone ( knife to stone)

have you put the blade flat on a glass top with the handle sticking out? I do it to veriy that it is not warped.

I do not think that a distal taper is done on both sides

You have not mentioned as to whether you hv made attempts to have it returned.

good luck..

rgds
    d

Little bit off topic here. How about kitaeji or damascus type, overtime will it warp?

all clad knives will warp over time... there are factors that effect how much and how quickly, but its inevitable

So it seems like a challenge for knife collector.

This is what I got back from the vendor. Looks like it's standard for his single bevel.

We think the gap is no problem to use.
    I have checked some Yanagi knives in stock. And every knives have the difference like your yanagi knife.
    We never check the straightness on the table. We only check the straightness on the edge with eye. We think it is enough for kitchen knife.

He is open for the return but this mean I will take a loss in shipping twice. And I could of get Gesshin Hide for that price. Feels so lame
    BTW, I never had to return anything online before, is it a normal practice for the customer to pay shipping twice?

Thank you all for the help and interesting information.

I don't know about the shipping. But would like to share this too:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...n-of-new-knife

Quote Originally Posted by Ruso View Post
    This is what I got back from the vendor. Looks like it's standard for his single bevel.

We think the gap is no problem to use.
    I have checked some Yanagi knives in stock. And every knives have the difference like your yanagi knife.
    We never check the straightness on the table. We only check the straightness on the edge with eye. We think it is enough for kitchen knife.

He is open for the return but this mean I will take a loss in shipping twice. And I could of get Gesshin Hide for that price. Feels so lame
    BTW, I never had to return anything online before, is it a normal practice for the customer to pay shipping twice?

Thank you all for the help and interesting information.
    he's right about how straightness is checked in japan... everyone does it by eye, and more than 90% of the time, that is perfectly fine. There are a lot of factors to consider before returning something like that. Your knife may be perfectly functional or there may be problems. For me, its really hard to see from the pictures, but for what its worth, even more expensive knives have issues like that sometimes, and they arent always a problem. On the plus side, most of these kinds of things are fixable by skilled craftsmen.