Help sharpening kurouchi nakiri. Low spots?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First time sharpening my watanabe nakiri. I just can't seem to work out the small circular shiny spot with a 500 Beston. It's about an inch in from the heel. The other side has even more spots but I didn't work at that side as long as this side. I have a good 30-40 minutes in on this side. Is this normal? I finally gave up and went to a 800 King and did some microbevels with 1200 and 5k and it's super sharp.

14580058842_76cff2db1d_c.jpg

Eventually you will get there..... Is there a need for it to be perfect at this very moment? Why waste steel? IT it performs to your expectations.... cuts nicely with precision as it is suppose to, that's all that matters.

Otherwise.. have a go at it and waste steel.

have fun..
rgds
D

I agree that its annoying but just let the course of time work it out

Sadly, I have to admit I had similar issue with both my Watanabe knives, though in my case I was able to get rid of those overgrind spots after 15 mins on JNS 300.

They didn't affect performance, so in your case I would just ignore them. After few more sharpening session you'll eventually remove them.

Thanks, guys. I'm new to sharpening this type of knife so I didn't know if it was my technique.

Naw, those are just slightly low grind spots, a lot of hand made knives will have them. As long as they're not on the edge it's not a problem.

Be well,
Mikey

The other side seems quite a bit worse, but I didn't really work at that side very long. First attempt at this type of knife and it's sharp as heck. If the edge holds I guess I did ok.

Brian, you'll get those low spots eventually and yeah lots of knives have them. If they bother you now go at it with a 220x stone, it'll flatten out in no time, just be sure to keep flattening the stone during the process.

Thanks, Dave. Maybe an excuse to buy a new stone? Hehe. I just got the king 800 from your web store a couple weeks ago and really like it.

Back