Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you had one knife....

reply fail, my bad

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    Suisin virgin carbon - so easy to sharpen.

Misono dragon - really nice knife but more $$$.
    How is the reactivity of these two? Do they need a (forced) patina to settle down or can you let one form naturally w/o it affecting product?

It's funny, when I started out it was Global/Shun/MAC ----->>> Misono UX10, which was The Best Sh*t Ever (TM)

I've worked with a number of people who used UX10's and swore by them, and they're nice knives, but I guess the price has jumped the last few years which stopped people from recommending them. Same with MACs.

I never got any reactivity from either knife. I gray patina set in and I never took it off and they were as stable as can be.

I like the profile on the UX10 and it has a comfy handle. I just prefer the handle on the dragon. I don't enjoy sharpening the UX10 line at all. It is much trickier to maintain than the carbon dragon. I've worked with a few cooks with UX10 knives that they just couldn't keep sharp because they couldn't get a proper edge on it. All most everybody I've worked with that has had a dragon has had a very serviceable edge on it.

I also really like the Mac Pro line. If the idea is to get a knife that doesn't require much maintenance than I think Mac Pro is a great choice.
    'I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.' Woody Allen

The Misono Dragon i've got was extremely reactive until a patina was set. Hot strong coffee, hot vinegar, whatever you want. Degrease before and rinse with really hot water after. Hardly an issue.

HHH line knife in AEB-L

My misono dragon was barely reactive at all and set a patina quickly and is still extremely stable. I would highly recommend this knife to someone looking for the next step if they are up to taking care of a carbon steel knife.

Yes, that reactivity is really an non issue, whether you have one from a more reactive batch or not. The Misono sharpens very easily and comes with great Fit & Finnish. A great pleasure to use.

I appreciate a good bargain personally. when starting out sharpening something with good feedback and something fairly cheap are pretty important qualitiea so I wouldn't be so worried about destroying an expensive knife and can get a working edge somewhat comfortably. I just bought a fujiwara carbon which is pretty good so far and fairly inexpensive for what it can do. The stainless version should also be adequate for an aspiring apprentice

My masamoto ks is the knife I would choose over all my others. Not the most expensive but i love it.

Quote Originally Posted by masibu View Post
    I appreciate a good bargain personally. when starting out sharpening something with good feedback and something fairly cheap are pretty important qualitiea so I wouldn't be so worried about destroying an expensive knife and can get a working edge somewhat comfortably. I just bought a fujiwara carbon which is pretty good so far and fairly inexpensive for what it can do. The stainless version should also be adequate for an aspiring apprentice
    I can agree about the Fujiwara carbon. Good stuff, a bit coarser grain than the Misono, which gives it some bite you may like. Highly reactive, so it will need a patina. After that, nothing to worry about. Some will complain about the sulfur smell, it will disappear as soon as the patina has been installed. Good F&F at that price level, factory edge is poor though.