Which knife should I buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erickso1

Reaction score
United States

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in : Chefs knife

Right Handed

Western Handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 7 3/4” blade length (appox)

Do you require a stainless knife? No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $150

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home use

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Slicing/chopping/mincing veggies, slicing meats.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

I’m replacing a Cutco 7-5/8 petite chef knife that was lost at work cookout.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

I use pinch grip 90% of the time. Hammer grip the rest

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Push-Cut, rock and walk.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Edge Retention would be nice. Easier to sharpen. Something that I can appreciate the look of and appreciate the use of.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

No

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

Not at this time

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I have a soft spot for vintage items.

The best things has new old stock (NOS) sabatiers which tick your vintage box, they come in under your budget, and can be maintained with a fine steel or ceramic rod. You will need to file away the finger guard to avoid putting a hole in the edge in front of the guard, but that's quite simple.

http://www.thebestthings.com/knives/sabatier_nogent.htm

I recall threads where buyers were complaining that, because they are running out, only poor quality knives were left.

Take a look at the Hiromoto AS at Japanese Chefs Knife. There are 180mm or 210mm gyutos or a 190mm santoku that would fit your criteria.

Lots of other great vendors online that frequently get discussed here will have a wide variety of choices.

I don't think you will be missing your Cutco.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. Been doing a lot of reading on this site and am learning a ton. Part of that learning was the ODC thread and it's exploration of refurbished high carbons. I talked to a local knife maker in Austin here, and he had a couple that he had just rehandled, sharpened and cleaned up. I'll be picking it up today (well, technically two knifes). A Forgecraft 11" utility and a Old Hickory bull nose butcher.

Back