Quantcast
Blue cheese - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue cheese

Blue cheese stuffed, bacon wrapped figs are delicious with ruby port.
    Crumbled in a grilled chicken salad or on a steak/burger are my most frequesnt uses.
    I also like to toss it on pizza and stir it into smashed 'taters.
    on a toothpick, with pecans and a 20yr tawney port, is by far my favorite way to go.

I like Maytag quite well, tough to get on the left coast though.
    I eat a lot of Pt Reyes Blue and the Rogue options: Oregonzola and Crater Lake.
    So no complaints here.

Enjoy!

Here's my blue cheese dressing recipe:

1/3 cup blue cheese crumbled
    1/3 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    2 tbsp of strained lemon juice (or more to taste and depending on thickness of dressing)
    1/4 tsp fresh thyme (leaves only)
    1/4 tsp fresh chives, finely chopped
    black pepper (to taste, but at least 5 good grinds of pepper)
    white pepper (to taste)
    salt (to taste)
    optional: pinch of sugar or some honey (to taste if you like your dressing on the milder side)

1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles

Blend all of the listed ingredients except for the 1/4 cup of blue cheese crumbles in a blender. If it's too thick, but already has enough acidity or tanginess, add water or a little bit of milk. Re-blend.

Finish by folding in the remaining blue cheese crumbles. It's best to chill it for a few hours before using so it gets nice and thick.

It's great as a dressing, but also with Buffalo wings. I've tried this with Danish Blue, Point Reyes Blue and a few other blue cheeses and it works well with all. The saltiness of the cheese is one big variable; as I recall, Maytag is not very salty so you will probably want to add some salt. With others, like the Point Reyes Blue I just used this week, no salt was added; the cheese was salty enough on its own.

You can also substitute your favorite herbs like italian parsley, green onions. You can also add shallots, onions or a little garlic.

I like to make a base dressing and have sliced or wedge at room temp on top to show off the cheese .
    and a slice of good bacon.

Nothing is better for me than a perfectly cooked rare to med rare steak with a red wine sauce and crumble some good maytag or gorgonzola on top of it ...yum!

Your favorite steak (beef or lamb), accompanied by handmade gnocchi in blue cheese-cream sauce and a slightly bitter vegetable such as broccoli rabe.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Any quality cheese with blue veins is OK by me.

Tonight was pan roasted thick pork chops with a beets/finely diced red peppers&onions/mushrooms type relish, a pan jus savory thyme strawberry jelly glaze. My wife won't go anywhere near blue cheese, but I crumbled it on top of my chop before I put the heated glaze on. Once the glaze got to melting the cheese, my taste buds loved it. Love me some blue.

Quote Originally Posted by spinblue View Post
    Tonight was pan roasted thick pork chops with a beets/finely diced red peppers&onions/mushrooms type relish, a pan jus savory thyme strawberry jelly glaze. My wife won't go anywhere near blue cheese, but I crumbled it on top of my chop before I put the heated glaze on. Once the glaze got to melting the cheese, my taste buds loved it. Love me some blue.
    Oh my! It sounds really great.