saya making
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: saya making

saya making

http://youtu.be/5F8PedsUmB0

fun little video

Quote Originally Posted by steeley View Post
    Cool video, though I would not run and buy his DVD if you think about making sayas. I would buy one or two saya chisels, a small bandsaw and 6x48 belt sander (if possible). These tools along with rasps, clamps, granite plate (flattening) will be all you need to make a saya. Don't bother about Dremmel, router, etc. You will get better results (and work faster) with hand tools.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I don't understand, Marko, aside from his saw not being small, and using a different kind of sander, he uses almost exactly those tools. He doesn't use a dremel or router to shape the saya...

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Cool video, though I would not run and buy his DVD if you think about making sayas. I would buy one or two saya chisels, a small bandsaw and 6x48 belt sander (if possible). These tools along with rasps, clamps, granite plate (flattening) will be all you need to make a saya. Don't bother about Dremmel, router, etc. You will get better results (and work faster) with hand tools.

M
    Marko,

Would you provide links to saya chisels you recommend for us?

Rick

sorry here is the link http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept....&dept_id=12798
    there called saya -nomi

Quote Originally Posted by steeley View Post
    sorry here is the link http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept....&dept_id=12798
    there called saya -nomi
    Are all three sizes necessary, or will one do for a beginner?

A paring chisel could be modified to do this without too much effort, for a lot less money!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

bent shank paring chisel .
    there is a lot of info out there mostly in sword sites.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Are all three sizes necessary, or will one do for a beginner?
    Yes, JWW chisels are same chisels I use. Unlike other chisels, they are quite long and flex, which allows you to apply pressure while carving. Sharpening them can be a little challenging, due to the bull nose tips.

I have two smaller sizes - I think it's 12mm and 16mm chisels and find them fully adequate. I use a small size to do an outline and to shape the edges and the larger to do most stock removal. The largest (25mm) size would be useful for tall knives' sayas, like cleaver, but even those I carve with smaller chisels.

My comment about using Dremel tool or routers in carving a saya cavity was not in the connection with the video. That was just an OT comment based on personal experience.

Also, unlike on swords sayas, on knife sayas you only carve a cavity on one side.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

+ Reply to Thread