Quantcast
saya making - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: saya making

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    A paring chisel could be modified to do this without too much effort, for a lot less money!
    Paring chisel won't give you much flex. It might work adequately for small knives' sayas, but once you start carving sayas for 240-300mm, you will see the deficiency. Same can be said about all other chisels out there, even the offset ones.

If you plan on making a few sayas for your knives, buy right tools. It will make your work easier and quality of your work better.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Thank you for your answer Marko Saya-Nomi seems like the way to go.
    also Marko has post on KF about the saya making. if you search for it .
    The Saya-shi is the scabbard maker who construct the Saya and Tsuka with the material, Ho-no-ki ( Japanese magnolia wood ), which are the products of Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Paring chisel won't give you much flex. It might work adequately for small knives' sayas, but once you start carving sayas for 240-300mm, you will see the deficiency. Same can be said about all other chisels out there, even the offset ones.

If you plan on making a few sayas for your knives, buy right tools. It will make your work easier and quality of your work better.

M
    Thanks for your reply, Marko. I appreciate it.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    My comment about using Dremel tool or routers in carving a saya cavity was not in the connection with the video. That was just an OT comment based on personal experience.
    Ah that makes sense. Yeah, I bet it's rare to see a chisel burn the wood from a 1/2 second pause.

It's not that much about burning wood, as for being in control how much wood you remove, at which angle etc. I carve sayas with same geometry in the cavity as on the knife, so there is little to no movement inside the saya once a knife is in. I include apin as a extra protection, but often it is not needed.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com