Another way to sharpen the edge that seems effective

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I was playing around with the hand held dmt diafold sharpeners (course/fine and extra fine/extra extra fine) I use occasionally for sharpening some tools and I decided to try another way of sharpening a beater knife by holding the knife flat and moving the diafolds across the edge at a good angle (15 degrees or so for this knife).

It worked amazingly well, could cut a tomato by the weight o the knife alone for example, easily passed any paper test etc.

Anyone else ever use this technique, kind of like a hand held edge pro :- )

Obviously it wouldn't work all that well for thinning a knife and seems to scratch the blade more than using stones - although I suppose I could have taped the surface if I wanted to - but for quickly putting an edge back on a beater knife it was insanely fast with the diafold...

Shosui Takeda sharpens/finishes all his knives like this.

Works fine with stones and diamond plates if they're not too heavy, silicon carbide paper on a wooden block, etc. I much prefer holding (or clamping, if I want both hands free) down the blade and moving the stone/plate/paper/etc for very long blades (e.g., swords), and sometimes will sharpen knives this way too. More dangerous, since your hands are moving along the edge, so needs caution.

DMT Diafolds are good for refreshing an edge in the field. I sharpened my Ice Carving chisels with Arkansas slip stones that carried in my chisel bag wt. small tin of oil. Holding the chisel in one hand, working the slip with the other. Works well once you get used to it.

DMT Diafolds are good for refreshing an edge in the field. I sharpened my Ice Carving chisels with Arkansas slip stones that carried in my chisel bag wt. small tin of oil. Holding the chisel in one hand, working the slip with the other. Works well once you get used to it.

It's better not to use oil on an oil stone. The metal dust build up will scratch the fine edge of your tool. I find using a foam soaked in soapy water is way better, for wiping the dusts from time to time, and it won't be absorbed into the stone and clog it.

I agree oil stones are not good for kitchen knives where food contaminates can clog the stone it is messy water stones are much better. If my large flat Ice chisels beyond touchup dull would use a large King 1K whetstone. I free lanced most of my carvings, often carving where no water available (except the ice of coarse) using hard Arkansas slips on my flats,V, & gouges with couple drops of oil worked well for touching up the edges on site. My first carving tools came from Japan & were stainless. had a couple carbon wood chisels from my dad along with the Arkansas slips. Later when went to Japan for Ice competition bought some really nice carbon Ice Chisels that got razor sharp, great for Ice Sculptures. I would have to dry them well & oil between jobs so no rust.

Back