Knife block solutions.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashae

Reaction score
So after moving to a new house, I've discovered that my kitchen lacks pretty much any wall suitable for a magnetic wall block for my knives -- tiled backsplash and a lot of windows. I'm thinking that I'll need to get a countertop block, and read about the custom blocks from Vermont Butcher Block and while that's a consideration, I was hoping to find a less expensive route. My knives do not all have sayas, so a drawer is not ideal, and most of the standard blocks out there look sorta "meh" - I think the big Henckels 53 knife block is the best option I've seen, but I was wondering if anyone has good suggestions. My current in-use collection is shown below, to give an idea of size distribution.

14489293276_65e9fc5821_b.jpg

I never use blocks unless you can open then up and clean them out. They get pretty nasty inside and don't want my cooking knives undid that. Cheapest way to store knives is finding some big phone books to slide them in. Can dispose and replace them easy. Or build a wooden parallel bar looking stand to slide the knives in where the bolster or ring sit on the wooden bars while the blade hangs below.

I never use blocks unless you can open then up and clean them out. They get pretty nasty inside and don't want my cooking knives undid that. Cheapest way to store knives is finding some big phone books to slide them in. Can dispose and replace them easy. Or build a wooden parallel bar looking stand to slide the knives in where the bolster or ring sit on the wooden bars while the blade hangs below.
Yep, phone books in a wine box, tape the phone book closed, and layer and cut for a snug fit

There's a guy on ebay that sells a magnetic knife rack with neodymium magnets for $50. 18", 9 vertical pairs of magnets for 9 knives. It's wood so it doesn't wreck your edges, and the magnets are strong enough that you can mount it on the side of the fridge.

I have never seen a 53 slot henckels block can you tell me where you saw it? Via google i found a 23 slot henckels block but the sur la table 35 slot one is substantially bigger & that's the one I use (well after I took my sawzsall to it and enlarged a few of the slots, total PITA to do)

Back