Japanese dovetail saws

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdksays

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with using Japanese pull style dove tail saws for butchery, specifically pork or lamb butchery? My restaurant does a lot of butchery in house and we don't necessarily have space for a band saw.

+1

From my experience dove tail saws are for dove tail joints, sorta fine straight detail work... I would look into the bone saw Maksim has. Its cheaper than a Veritas too!

I like Japanese saws for woodwork, the pull stroke feels more natural. That saw from Maksim is carbon steel, so cleaning it with hot soapy water after cutting meat & bone important. Dry well & regular food grade mineral oil from drugstore.

I completely understand the wood saw for woodworking mentality but hear me out.

the Maksim saw even says in the description that the design came from using a Japanese woodworking saw in the kitchen and I'm assuming it was a dozuki or something similar. Now, I'm not asking about a show piece or something I'll be using once a month, I'm talking about a saw i'll be employing every day. My kitchen butchers 1 pig, two lamb and a beef forequarter every week. Therefore since I can't sharpen the Maksim saw as far as I can tell and interchangeable blade are important to me, I need to look at other options.

Now we seriously don't have room for a band saw and have been using a skil saw for sometime and while it gets the job done its not always a great tool especially for removing chine boned from lamb/pork racks in order to cut chops.

The dozuki especially a hardwood one seems ideal in that it makes thin cuts, can deal with tougher mediums and has a high tooth per inch ratio.

I'm not trying to be cheap I'm just trying to get the biggest bang for my buck and while doing so not purchase a saw that has no way to be sharpened or have the blade replaced simply because I wanted a wa handle to look at.

How about a regular Hacksaw. I have seen them used for bone & the blades are interchangeable. Back when I did butchering we did have a band saw, this was a Hotel Kitchen. In later years trended to getting pre butchered meats got to the point only trimming strip loin, cleaning fish, & cutting steaks. I transferred to Banquets each outlet did their own meat cutting.

What kind of kitchen are you are breaking down whole pigs & lamb? Kind of cool to know some butchering is still going on in a kitchen it has been eliminated in most places.

I just googled Butcher Hacksaws, there are quite a few out there. I am sure you can find a butcher saw that will suit your needs.

As someone who spends the majority of my workweek in DC, I am also curious where you work. Good luck!

Most Japanese wood saws can be sharpened by a professional. I always used hacksaws from the hardware store before we got a bandsaw. We did 2-5 225-75# pigs a week for years before we got the bandsaw. Make sure you don't buy the Teflon coated blades, they'll shed into your chops. I've been eyeing maxims saw, but haven't done any land animals regularly in so long that it's not worth packing into the kit. The upside is you can probably talk him into a saya so the teeth don't get bent in storage.

Im a cook at birch and barley on 14th street. We have a pretty serious butchery program as well as charcuterie, pickling and not to mention over 550 beers.

Know it well! Always been a big fan of Tiffany's confections. Cool! Welcome to KKF!

in the look out for this especially after watching this:
[video=youtube;wElGi7fNaX8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wElGi7fNaX8[/video]

Back